Main Menu

Ship spotting

Started by Captain Canada, March 31, 2005, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

We're working up in Goderich Ontario this week Here's the two ships that are wintwering in the harbour. The CSL Frontenac, with one of the under-lake salt mines behind

And the sun going down over Lake Huron and the Baird

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Under lake salt mines????:unsure:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2015, 02:20:12 AM

Yup

There's even one under Detroit

Then there's the Lake Peigneur Incident, where the salt mine was punctured by drilling
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Quote from: scooter on March 24, 2015, 02:50:00 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 24, 2015, 02:20:12 AM

Yup

There's even one under Detroit

Then there's the Lake Peigneur Incident, where the salt mine was punctured by drilling

I've been in one of the salt mines under Lake Erie.  About 1200 feet down I recall, and the lake is only about 50 deep there, so a good 1100+ feet of roof between the mine and the water up above, but it is a peculiar feel beeing UNDER a lake. There are veins of salt that the can work for decades by going in a a horizonatl grid pattern.  Very interesting tour.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Hobbes

How do they do that? Build an artificial island for the shaft head?

Captain Canada

The ones here are on the lake shore.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Great sunset shots, there, CC. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Captain Canada

Thanks Pyro ! I liked the way the sun lit up the side of the old freighter. I think the Frontenac is one of the oldest boats on the Lakes. I really should research these things !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Lovely pics. :wub:

I was driving past the docks in Hull with the kids in the car, and told them we were very near.  They didn't believe me, as although we drive past regularly, it's hard to tell as there's an embankment that obscures the docks.  So I took them to a viewing area and we a saw a ship coming into the Alexandra dock with the Humber Bridge in the distance and the one of the super ferries (Pride of Hull or Pride of Rotterdam, I couldn't see which)  being loaded and all floodlit on the river terminal.

It was good to see their surprise at something that was so close yet they didn't know it was there.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Quote from: Hobbes on March 24, 2015, 10:14:09 AM
How do they do that? Build an artificial island for the shaft head?

Like this

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

In the second pic the ice goes out as far as the eye can see. This was the first year in awhile that Lake Huron was frozen completely over. Creates quite a stir, as folk can walk or take ATVs out, and sea birds that need to alight on and feed in water are 'dead ducks'.

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Holbrook.  A town in New South Wales 260km from the sea.
Not necessarily where you'd expect to find HMAS Otway.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I'd have loved to hear the Navigator's explanation for that one  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Steel Penguin

" well its his first time here in Oz, and we had a few drinks, and well !!"  :cheers:  :drink:  :party:  :blink:
I believe is one reason ive heard for such things on various sites,  usually accompanied by various locals sagely nodding there heads in agreement.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!