Main Menu

Ship spotting

Started by Captain Canada, March 31, 2005, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

How the devil did they get it there anyway?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2015, 02:06:25 PM
How the devil did they get it there anyway?

Missed a left turn at Albuquerque?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

It's a slightly complicated story.

Holbrook was called Ten Mile Creek until 1875 when it was renamed Germanton due to German immigrants living in the area.
In 1915 the town was remained again due to Germans not being too popular at the time (this was not unusual, a number of South Australian place names we're also changed).  The name Holbrook was chosen to honour Norman Douglas Holbrook, a Royal Navy Lieutenant awarded the Victoria Cross for taking Submarine HMS B11 through the Dardanelles and sinking an Ottoman Ironclad in 1914.
To honour Lieutenant Holbrook, the town tried to purchase HMAS Otway (Oberon Class) after it was decommissioned in 1995.
The RAN gave the town the fin and fund raising garnered $100,000 to buy the rest.
Unfortunately this wasn't enough to buy it all but they did get all the outer hull above the waterline which is what you now see in Germanton park in the centre of town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbrook,_New_South_Wales
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Douglas_Holbrook
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_B11

In 2014 HMAS Otway was "yarn bombed" to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles touring Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-12/submarine-yarn-bombing-project-unveiled-in-holbrook/5518594

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Amazing!  ;D

One can't help but wonder what the RAN did with the lower half of an obsolete submarine!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 17, 2015, 05:20:48 AM
Amazing!  ;D

One can't help but wonder what the RAN did with the lower half of an obsolete submarine!  :o

Considering it contained the batteries, they are obviously better off without it.  They have the outer lower hull, I've driven through Holbrook two years ago.  HMAS Otway is in a concrete lined pit, which isn't visible in any of the photos thus far posted.  Considering that they cut the hull up, before transporting it to Holbrook, their welding it back together was done very well indeed.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Here's a clearer pic found on the interweb.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

Probably sold for the price of scrap, which is sad. Even if they still have it, it would have been nice to see it all together as they are impressive boats !

I'm going to do the tour of the local one this year. Excited but a little nervous of being inside !

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

It looks as though you can just stroll along her deck  Is that so ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Something like a 1:1 scale waterline model. Who got to sit behind the plastic window in the bow?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

That's the stern, the bow has the radar. Judging by all the paint chips around the foot holds, I'd say many a person has clambered across her decks !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Yes, you can clamber up and take a stroll along the top.  You can't get inside the tower though AFAIK.
Sooner or later someone will fall off and sue and ruin it for everyone else.

No graffiti on her which is good.  Put her in the middle of a city and it would be a different matter but Holbrook is a small community and they will be proud of her and will treat taggers the old fashioned way.
Fred

kerick

Quote from: kerick on April 17, 2015, 10:46:56 AM
Something like a 1:1 scale waterline model. Who got to sit behind the plastic window in the bow?
Quote from: Captain Canada on April 17, 2015, 10:52:53 AM
That's the stern, the bow has the radar. Judging by all the paint chips around the foot holds, I'd say many a person has clambered across her decks !

:cheers:
So that was for the tail gunner?
Just kidding. She looks great!

Then there is the U-505 in the basement of the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. She's much better preserved now that she's been moved in from the outside.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

National Submarine museum has HMS Alliance which is a late WWII, early cold war sub. Me and the lads are hoping to get down there this summer
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: kerick on April 19, 2015, 08:09:59 AM

Then there is the U-505 in the basement of the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. She's much better preserved now that she's been moved in from the outside.

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/

And then there's the USS Ling, which is a permanent part of the Hackensack River.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2015, 08:19:47 AM
National Submarine museum has HMS Alliance which is a late WWII, early cold war sub. Me and the lads are hoping to get down there this summer

I took the tour of the Alliance some years ago Chris, before the recent upgrade. It's very impressive but also VERY small inside so watch your head!

Regards
Kit