Main Menu

Ship spotting

Started by Captain Canada, March 31, 2005, 08:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 19, 2015, 11:26:11 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 19, 2015, 08:19:47 AM
National Submarine museum has HMS Alliance which is a late WWII, early cold war sub. Me and the lads are hoping to get down there this summer

I took the tour of the Alliance some years ago Chris, before the recent upgrade. It's very impressive but also VERY small inside so watch your head!

I've been on a couple of preserved USN WWII subs (inc. the one in Pearl) and they endangered your skull at every twist and turn. I'm assuming Alliance is smaller  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That it is, especially the entrance and exit hatches which are cut in the sides of the pressure hull at the bow and stern!

I was assisted in entering by a comely WREN who reached up and put her hand on top of my head, saying 'You're a little tall for this sir, I suggest you keep your hat on'.  ;D

I very nearly went round and took another tour after that.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Are they still WREN's or just naval ratings now ? I assume the separate female branch of the service is no more ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 21, 2015, 07:46:26 AM
Are they still WREN's or just naval ratings now ? I assume the separate female branch of the service is no more ?

Ah, dunno. Her big blue eyes and the sprayed on uniform rather distracted me from such vital observations.......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great to see so many Subs preserved. The one in Chicago looks like a must see...Great display.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 21, 2015, 08:32:17 AM

Ah, dunno. Her big blue eyes and the sprayed on uniform rather distracted me from such vital observations.......  ;)
:thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 21, 2015, 08:32:17 AM

Yup there's something about a female in uniform and I've always been partial to WREN's. Probably swayed by the stories my dad told when I got older and mum wasn't around  :rolleyes:

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 22, 2015, 07:36:15 AM

Yup there's something about a female in uniform

Yeah -- the WestJet and KLM girls I see at YYC are really something to see in their uniforms  --- and there's one particular Alaska Airlines one that's a real cracker ---   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

I'll just leave this here :wacko: :lol:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

That is too cool. It's even got an island ;-)
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

It would be a good idea if icebergs didn't have that habit of rolling over! :o
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Amphion

Did a bit of spotting this weekend (Labour Day).

First of, the ships of the Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 (SNMCMG 1):

Second, a Swedish Coast Guard Cutter:

Amphion

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Amphion on May 04, 2015, 05:58:01 AM
Did a bit of spotting this weekend (Labour Day).

First of, the ships of the Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 (SNMCMG 1):

Blimey, was there a threat of someone mining your local harbour then?  :o

Regards
Kit

Amphion

Blimey, was there a threat of someone mining your local harbour then?  :o
[/quote]

No, just a weekend stop-over for supplies and R'n'R.
Amphion