Tamiya Pink Panther Landrover box art howler

Started by Weaver, September 10, 2024, 02:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, here is the box art for the Tamiya 1/35th SAS "Pink Panther" Land Rover. There's a number of things arguably wrong with the kit, but there's a straight-up howler in the instructions which the box art faithfully reproduces. Can you spot what it is?

First one to spot it might win a full-sized pink Land Rover, but probably won't... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

For my eye, it is the front lights. Normally on a Landrover (that I have seen/driven) you would have an indicator and parking light. The box top appears to have a brake and indicator.
That could be just me though ;D

scooter

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 10, 2024, 03:34:45 PMFor my eye, it is the front lights. Normally on a Landrover (that I have seen/driven) you would have an indicator and parking light. The box top appears to have a brake and indicator.

Ya know, I didn't even catch that.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 10, 2024, 03:34:45 PMFor my eye, it is the front lights. Normally on a Landrover (that I have seen/driven) you would have an indicator and parking light. The box top appears to have a brake and indicator.

Yep, well done.  ;D

Yep, that's it - well done.

The Tamiya Landy has rear lights on the front, as per the written painting instructions  ;D.  It should be orange (indicator) over white (sidelight) at the front, and red (stop/tail) over orange (indicator) at the back. It's completely illegal to show a steady red light to the front of a vehicle in the UK. You can have a flashing one, but then only if it's part of the authorised "blues and twos" light bar on a Police or Emergency vehicle.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

frank2056

At least the Tamiya kit has the correct wheel bolt pattern (five bolts and not six like Italeri)

Weaver

Quote from: frank2056 on September 10, 2024, 07:49:38 PMAt least the Tamiya kit has the correct wheel bolt pattern (five bolts and not six like Italeri)

There's another thing that Tamiya got right that Italeri got wrong: the commander's seat (front passenger seat) is supposed to be raised up on a box with a folding backrest. Italeri have it at the same level as the driver's seat.

On the other side of the balance sheet, Italeri modelled the tailgate rack correctly, although they didn't provide the trunk-shaped canvas bag that goes on it. Tamiya, on the other hand, modelled carrier and bag as an all-in-one triangular thing with an open bottom. Hard to say what they were thinking: my best guess is that they saw a pic of one with the bag empty and half-collapsed, and assumed that must be it's proper shape. That still doesn't explain their canvas going over the rack though. I can't find a single pic of any such arrangement.

- Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Wardukw

One day I'll figure out something to do with my one sitting in the stash 🤔
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Weaver

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 10, 2024, 10:37:34 PMEarly SAS Landie Wiff?  ;D

To be honest, I have a hankering to do this one real-world and super-detail it.

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

There is a huge amount of resin and etch available for this kit.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on September 11, 2024, 03:16:23 AMThere is a huge amount of resin and etch available for this kit.

There's a fair amount. You have to be careful: some of the stuff is for the Italeri kit and doesn't apply to the Tamiya one because of their different flaws/omissions, and vice-versa. The Black Dog set, for instance is only for the Italeri and won't fix the Tamiya's rear carrier problem. The best to me seems to be the Legend (resin+etch) set. There's one on Ebay that looks like it's the same set, but I'm suspicious that it's a Chinese knock-off.

- Indiana Jones