Free Danish F2H-4 Banshee

Started by comrade harps, September 11, 2024, 08:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comrade harps

9th McDonnell F2H-4 Banshee
a/c G-206, 331 Skvadron, Royal Danish Air Force, Vágar Air Base, Vágar Island, Faroe Islands, June 1956
Personal mount of Lt. Jacob Bruun Larsen

Jacob Bruun Larsen was an all-American boy. He played American football, drank Coke Cola, wore blue jeans and married his high school sweetheart. He was from California and believed in God, Mom, Superman and the American way.

There were few Danish born personnel in the Free Danish armed forces by the mid-1950s. Financed by the UN and donations, recruitment focused on people with Danish ancestry. They were helped in this by transfer programs from bigger UN members. The USAF had such a program, through which Lt. Jacob Bruun Larson of the 82nd Fighter-Interceptor Squadron at Travis Air Force Base, was identified in January 1955 and offered a special assignment. Taking the advice of an unidentified Major from the Pentagon, Bruun Larsen resigned from the USAF and accepted a train ticket to New York City. Directed to the Free Danish embassy at the United Nations Secretariat Building, he accepted Free Danish citizenship, was immediately inducted into the Royal Danish Air Force (RDAF) and given a rail pass back to California. His orders were to be at the Naval Air Station Moffet Field in a week's time.

The RDAF's presence in the Faroe Islands was small in the mid-50s, with two squadrons located at Vágar Air Base. 335 Skvadron flew a couple of C-47, had a C-54 and three C-64 Norseman STOL transports. 331 Skvadron had reformed in 1951 on McDonnell F2H-2N Banshee fighters. Chosen for its reliability, all-weather capabilities and long range, the Banshee also had the advantage of being a single seater, a must due to the RDAF's ongoing aircrew shortage. In 1954 the F2H-2N was replaced by the improved F2H-4, the type which Lt. Bruun Larsen would fly.

Although the Faroe Islands bristled with UN radars, communications and signals intelligence facilities, the region saw little belligerent air activity. Nethertheless, QRA duties, drills and frequent patrols kept Bruun Larsen and his colleagues busy. They primarily maintained a defensive posture, but did serve as aggressors to test other UN air defence assets.

The Danish Banshees received air refueling probes in 1955 (not the US Navy variety of probe, which sacrificed a 20mm cannon, but the USMC probe type attached to the fuselage) and AIM-9B Sidewinders in 1956. They were replaced by Douglas F4D-2 Skyrays in 1958. As the Reds stayed away from the Faroes, the RDAF Banshees never engaged in combat.

Lt. Jacob Bruun Larsen returned to the USAF after two years flying Banshees with the RDAF. He went on to fly F-102As from Thule, Greenland (also a Free Danish territory), and F-106As from Keflavik, Iceland. He subsequently rose through the ranks in NORAD and retired as a Brigadier General. He never fired on the enemy, nor was he fired at, but on several occasions did "engage in deterrence maneuvering against potential Red intruders." He recalled that the F2H-4 was "a reliable if unspectacular aircraft."

Whatever.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 11, 2024, 08:45:38 PMBanshee looks good in that scheme. :thumbsup:

Like the F2H-4 itself, l was looking for a simple elegance. Thanks.
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

That's odd but looks very good in this grey livery.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

I agree..that simple scheme is most effective 👌 👍 😏
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

She does look good in that scheme, makes her look slimmer somehow  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sport21ing

My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

comrade harps

As a USN type based in the Atlantic, the Banshee paint scheme is similar to my Argentine Navy Skyray. As with all my models, they are in the same universe.
Whatever.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

The Banshee is an often overlooked aeroplane (I've got a couple of unbuilt ones myself....) but it looks very good and in proportion, which many didn't in those days.

In that FDAF scheme it looks terrific, and the backstory is a real blinder! Magic stuff all round Comrade.!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I'm partial to a free Danish.  Custard or Apple & Rhubarb are my favourites but if they are free i'm not fussy.

Good build H.  Hobbycraft/Academy kit?
 :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Quote from: zenrat on September 12, 2024, 04:05:45 AMI'm partial to a free Danish.  Custard or Apple & Rhubarb are my favourites but if they are free i'm not fussy.

Good build H.  Hobbycraft/Academy kit?
 :thumbsup:

The Academy kit. Got it cheap at Expo.

A simple kit of a plane with a simple (if slightly awkward) appearance in a simple paint job, with just a probe and a couple of Sidewinders. A simple plan.
Whatever.

zenrat

I've built one (Hobby Craft release) and have another in the stash.  It might be simple but I like it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Quote from: zenrat on September 12, 2024, 05:02:15 AMI've built one (Hobby Craft release) and have another in the stash.  It might be simple but I like it.

Everything fits well and it's a trouble free build. I spent longer on the Thai Mirage and a quick and easy build was just the tonic l needed. Quite therapeutic.
Whatever.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones