Brazilian F-100E Super Sabre

Started by comrade harps, September 14, 2024, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comrade harps

North American Aviation F-100E Super Sabre 
a/c 63020, 1 Fighter Squadron, Brazilian African Air Expeditionary Wing, Néma, Mauritania, 12 June 1960

The Brazilian Air Force (BAF) began its relationship with North American Aviation (NAA) during WW2. Flying T-6 Texan trainers and B-25 Mitchell bombers, the BAF contracted with NAA for maintenance and repair support. NAA opened its first facility in Brazil in 1943 and in 1946 invested in the Indústria Aeronáutica Neiva, which was building gliders. Neiva expanded in 1948 with the acquisition of Companhia Aeronáutica Paulista, the manufacturer of CAP-4 Paulistinha trainer. In 1951, the Brazilian government sought to enter into a licence manufacturing deal for NAA's F-86 Sabre. To produce the Sabre, NAA engaged in a joint venture with the government to create Empresa Brasileira de Aeronáutica (EMBRAER), Neiva becoming a subsidiary of the new company. 

EMBRAER made F-86F Sabres flew with the BAF and were also exported. When the BAF selected the F-100 Super Sabre to be F-86's successor, the Brazilian government lacked the finance to invest in the necessary technology to locally make the type. To fill the void, EMBRAER went on to produce indigenously designed types, including the EMB.91 and EMB.326. Thus the BAF's F-100D, E and F model Super Sabres were all made by NAA in America. With NAA effectively out of the fighter business following the USAF's rejection of the F-107, EMBRAER would go on to build the Dassault Canada Mirage III to replace the Super Sabre. 

The F-100E was promoted as a "modernized Super Sabre." This meant that it brought together a large number of modifications applied to production and in-service F-100Ds to improve reliability, safety and combat effectiveness into one standardised model. At the same time, the J57-P-16 engine was replaced by the more powerful J57-P-17. An additional feature of the E models deployed to Africa was their "Vulture hood." Adopted after several fatal F-100 bird strikes, this revised canopy was reinforced with a bracing frame just aft of the pilot's ejection seat. Production of the F-100E was authorised to maintain USAF combat mass until the introduction of the tri-service (USAF/USMC/USN) Vought F-8E Crusader. Several export customers also received the F-100E. 

The F-100D replaced F-86Fs with the Brazilian African Air Expeditionary Wing in 1958. The next year the F-100E became available, remaining on strength until the EMBRAER made Mirage IIIEBr entered service in 1965.

This F-100E was photographed on 12 June 1960, before its 20th combat mission (it was written off due to structural damage following its 25th combat sortie). Its loadout was six Mk.82SE Snakeye retarded bombs on TERs, two AIM-9B and a pair of 335 gallon drop tanks. The camouflage was Buff, Rust and Dark Green over Pale Grey, a scheme known as Mahgreb Three. This paint job reflected the fact that UN aircraft were more likely to be engaged by Red airpower over the mountainous North African region than over the vast ergs of the Sahara. The plane's 20th combat mission was part of a strike package targeting the port city Oran in Red Algeria, the Brazilian Super Sabres attacking rail facilities.

Whatever.

Sport21ing

My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

comrade harps

Whatever.

Wardukw

Very very nice Pat ..very nice indeed 👌 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I like that...a lot. There's something about 3-tone upper camouflage that catches the eye  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 15, 2024, 01:35:21 AMI like that...a lot. There's something about 3-tone upper camouflage that catches the eye  :thumbsup:

I wanted to create something with a bit of brightness and contrast.
Whatever.

kitbasher

👍. Can't go wrong with a Hun.

Which kit?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

comrade harps

Quote from: kitbasher on September 15, 2024, 03:16:38 AM👍. Can't go wrong with a Hun.

Which kit?

Italeri 1/72 F-100D. Another cheap buy from the Melbourne Model Expo this year.
Whatever.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Very nice, the Italeri F-100 D isn't a bad kit either, and being a 2 seater, makes it that bit more unusual.  :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Quote from: comrade harps on September 15, 2024, 02:04:02 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 15, 2024, 01:35:21 AMI like that...a lot. There's something about 3-tone upper camouflage that catches the eye  :thumbsup:

I wanted to create something with a bit of brightness and contrast.

You usually do, mate! Your camouflages are usually stunning! :bow:  :bow:

The Hun is one of those aircraft I find is strangly "homely" to me, possibly because they were frequently on the TV when I was a youngster (Vietnam era).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

:wub:  Very nice, comrade! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Got a couple of Italeri Huns in the stash for PoAF birds in the early 60s which will probably look similar to this one... :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

Are the single-seat Italeri F-100s repops of the ESCI kit (I don't think ESCI did a two-seater)?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

HarryPhishnuts

Gotta put a Hun somewhere on the "got ta get" list. Great build.  :thumbsup: