Canada bans TAMIYA spray paints! No joke.

Started by seadude, September 26, 2024, 07:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Just recently saw this. Can't help but wonder if the U.S. will be next?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Or anywhere else in the world?

I wonder how many real 'casualties' there have been caused by Tamiya sprays?

[Cynic mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Yep, have to head over to my local and see if they have any fine white primer left.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

We're such a laughing stock anymore. Go Canada !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

It's been imported for how many years and now it's some kind of crisis? Geez!

I think we can start a paint reverse rum runner gang! I'll meet you in Detroit......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

The Rat

Sucks, but there maybe a very good reason for it. At least we're better than California, which seems to class anything in existence as a carcinogen, no matter how flimsy the evidence.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

I'm sure we went through all this a while back with somewhere other than Canadia and it all blew over.
Any definitive information other than one you-boob video?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Definitely nothing like that here ..getting Tamiya sprays isn't a problem so why Canada is banning em doesn't make any sense to me right now 🤔
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2024, 02:04:50 AMI'm sure we went through all this a while back with somewhere other than Canadia and it all blew over.
Any definitive information other than one you-boob video?
Yes, it was in the US and it was a labelling
issue. There was a moratorium on importation and distribution until the labels conformed to regulations. This didn't stop retail sales of stock on hand, but of course the screams of "the government has banned Tamiya paints", "f**k the EPA", "our Freedums" etc. started right away and no matter how the hobby industry people in the know tried to explain the situation they couldn't be heard over the noise.
Based on what the woman from the importer said it sounds like a similar thing, to whit, some Tamiya spray paints have a level of X that means they can "no longer be imported without a specific permit."
Which sounds like a moratorium, like the
previous one in the US, not a ban. If they had
been banned then all retail sales would have
to be halted and all stock turned over for disposal. Idiots love to throw the word "ban"
around without grasping the meaning.

Which seems to have gone over the head of the putz who made the video. More kneejerk arm-waving, but ya know it's always easier to grab the torches and pitchforks instead of using your head.

jcf

Quote from: Wardukw on September 29, 2024, 12:53:31 AMDefinitely nothing like that here ..getting Tamiya sprays isn't a problem so why Canada is banning em doesn't make any sense to me right now 🤔
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2024, 07:25:36 AMOr anywhere else in the world?

[Cynic mode off]
You want some cynicism, how about the hobbyshop dude knowing it's a temporary
situation but generating a panic will have
re$ult$?

Rick Lowe

Quote from: jcf on September 29, 2024, 07:06:48 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 29, 2024, 12:53:31 AMDefinitely nothing like that here ..getting Tamiya sprays isn't a problem so why Canada is banning em doesn't make any sense to me right now 🤔
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2024, 07:25:36 AMOr anywhere else in the world?

[Cynic mode off]
You want some cynicism, how about the hobbyshop dude knowing it's a temporary
situation but generating a panic will have
re$ult$?

Oh, surely not - how *could you* even infer someone in the retail trade would take advantage of a situation like that?
I'm shocked - shocked, I tell you!

;)  ;D