P-47 SeaBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, April 01, 2005, 05:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

First of my seaplane conversions now underway.
Slightly modified tail (sharper taper).  This will be an unarmed observation plane c/w cockpit for two.  Likely end up in three-tone non-specular USN WWII scheme, heavily weathered.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

"Getcha floats, red-hot floats over heah!"

Will be molding then casting these tomorrow.  The largest ones shown here will become the twin floats for the P-47 SeaBolt.  Some other prospective seaplane conversions include:
- P-36
- Me-109 (the JMN's will slaughter me for this, I'm sure)
- Spitfire (not really a What If, though)
- T-Tailed, two-seat Mustang
- Corsair (naturally)
- Dewoitine D-520 (again, I believe this was done in real life, no?)
- P-38 Lightning (if I can figure out how to pull it off)
- AT-6 Texan (Early RCAF yellow trainer scheme...argllllllllghhhh....)
- PB4Y-2 Privateer (someone else here drew a great B-24 Liberator seaplane conversion and that would be great, too)
- Wyvern
- DHC-4 Caribou (with those inverted bent wings, seems like a natural)

Some reverse possibilities (converting floatplanes to land-based) I've wanted to try include:
- Shin Meiwa
- CL415
- Kawanishi Kyofu Type 11 (can anyone confirm if this was already done in reality?  My Tamiya kit has no provision for landing gear whatsoever so I'm looking forward to creating what I *believe* is to be an original aircraft idea)

Others?

Ollie

AT-6 has been done Barry, check the Squadron T-6 in action book for a T-6 on a central float!

;)  B)  

dragon

Since you are already showing yourself as a target to JMNs....How about a floatplane:

ME-262
J7 (whatever it is) Shinden-Kai
Bearcat
Tigercat

If you are going out as a target, go big!

Regards

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

retro_seventies

aaaaahhhhhhhh seaplanes....

i'm not even remotely in the same league (barely the same planet) when it comes to modelling as you Barry, but by god, i love my seaplanes (what if, obviously).

you've seen the beaufighter seaplane (although not very beaufightery, it's definitely a bristol), you've seen the meteor seaplane, and i've justs been tinkering with a few more drawings this afternoon - let me dig them out and i'll post them...i don't think that you mentioned any of them as your upcoming projects, but you can sure as heck build them if you wish, chances are that i'll croak of old age before i build half the ideas that i have...

like the idea of a p-47 observation plane very much...taking the place of the kingfisher?

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

elmayerle

Just a thought, for the floatplane Bf109, use twin floats and strust similar to the ski conversion for the Bf109 where you tie in to the exisitng aircraft structure.  You could do the same for a "different" Spitfire floatplane.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

NARSES2

There was a Bf109 floatplane - Me109W ? I think A Model do a kit

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

elmayerle

QuoteThere was a Bf109 floatplane - Me109W ? I think A Model do a kit

Chris
They do and it follows the drawing in the AJ Press book.  The thing is, I'm not totally convinced that that approach is the easiest way to do it.  The approach I suggested requires a minimum amount of extra structure, primarily just some beef-up on the the structure holding the MLG trunnions.  If you feel a need to stabilize the floats more, run a streamlined strut from each back to the tailwheel attach structure.

Martin H

QuoteThere was a Bf109 floatplane - Me109W ? I think A Model do a kit

Chris
And Adrian at Lonewulf does a cheaper resin conversion for the Italeri 109F kit Chris. got one on hanger queen row.  slowly getting there with it.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

TomZ

Be sure to name it the FR-2 SeaBolt as the FR-1 Seabolt already exists.  :rolleyes:

Look at : XFR-1 Seabolt

Regards,

Tom
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

John Howling Mouse

QuoteBe sure to name it the FR-2 SeaBolt as the FR-1 Seabolt already exists.  :rolleyes:

Look at : XFR-1 Seabolt

Regards,

Tom
Ah, but mine is SeaBolt ™ ---note the capital "B"  (well, those JMN's do love details, right?!)   ;)

TomZ

Damn, I knew I should have got a patent application  :angry:

Tom
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

elmayerle

Just a thought, JHM.  Take a look at what the same designers did in adding floats to a previous design of similar proportions, the Seversky  SEV-3:

For reference, here's the landplane version:

Edit: Images added by edit

John Howling Mouse

Coooooooooooooooool, my mind's absolutely reeling now.

Very intriguing!    :wub:  

Hunter Gatherer

IGNORANCE ALERT....[/size]

Guys... What's a JMN ?

IJ.