P-47 SeaBolt

Started by John Howling Mouse, April 01, 2005, 05:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Quotehi
wow...stunning idea and work at this time!!!
can I pinch your idea for my project? :wub:
I dont think this bolt would need the turbo loadder for the low level oparations...
I think much space would be "organized" without this installation... ;)
the idea with this avenger canopy is great and brillant!!!! :cheers:

best regards and hope to see the finished kit next time...earlier as mine projects :unsure:
Sure, by all means, go ahead: it would be nice to see it done and done properly---heh, heh.

Someone else here had virtually the same idea, too.

Basically, anything with floats added is a go!

Oh, and T-Tails.

And twin booms are always welcomed, too!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Well, time to resurrect this old baby from 2005.  It was originally intended to be an unarmed observation/rescue USN airplane complete with floats.  Today, I got to talking about the idea to Brian da Basher and he's convinced me to go more the TBF Avenger route: ball turret in the back.  I think I may as well add a kitbashed torpedo then, too.  You may recall what it was initially supposed to look like:

I told Brian da Basher I was going to deepen the fuselage to make it even more like an Avenger so here is the initial cutline and some other features:

John Howling Mouse

The resulting cuts and the approximate final depth on the fuselage and cowl that I'm shooting for (someone say a prayer to The Styrenes for me).    :banghead:

Brian da Basher

I've got yet another title for you Mr Howling Mouse, "Wizard of the Bandsaw".

I'm really going to enjoy watching you put this one together!

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

John Howling Mouse

Took me an hour to locate my old Monogram 1:48 Avenger.  Turns out the ball turret is far too great in diameter for the T-Bolt's fuselage width at the back.  Gives me an appreciation for the Avenger's overall size.

So, what to do?

1.  Revert to plan A (unarmed rescue/observation airplane)

or:

2.  Do a Torpedo bomber but without a ball turret (having a Dauntless-style sliding rear canopy for the gun)?

Brian da Basher

You gotta go with the rear gun. Mr Howling Mouse! I really like the idea of this bird armed with with a torpedo for sub-hunting in the North Atlantic!

I can't wait for your next installment!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 16, 2008, 06:36:22 PM
Took me an hour to locate my old Monogram 1:48 Avenger.  Turns out the ball turret is far too great in diameter for the T-Bolt's fuselage width at the back.  Gives me an appreciation for the Avenger's overall size.

So, what to do?

1.  Revert to plan A (unarmed rescue/observation airplane)

or:

2.  Do a Torpedo bomber but without a ball turret (having a Dauntless-style sliding rear canopy for the gun)?

What about an A-26 Invader type of turret?  This way you can make it smaller in diameter as the gunner would sit under the greenhouse
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

BlackOps

Was there a sale on P-47's that I didn't hear about? Oh nevermind I've seen your stash  ;D   

Looks like another great start Barry!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

I'll check on the guns possibility but you an see where I cut out the crewdoor and there's an observation window on each side where the supercharger vents (?) used to be.

I've got CLAMPS!  I've run a lip of sorts all along where the insert panel will go.  At this point I had really started to wonder what I had managed to get myself into.

John Howling Mouse

Oops, I see we're on a new page.  Go back a page to see how I got to this point, eh?

More masking tape than styrene at this point but it came together well (each fuselage top and bottom parts are together but the left and right sides are not actually glued yet----just taped with the hope that everything will set up without too much warping for later assembly).

Just look at how deep that fuselage is now.  It's no wonder I can't stop flying it around the house.  I'm looking for survivors on the linoleum---how sick is that?

cthulhu77

Crikey, someone better call for an ambulance!

nev

Y'know Barry, if you wanted to build an Avenger you should've just picked up the Italeri rebox of the AM kit ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

The cowl will end up looking better than these putty pics would lead you to believe:

Some progress made on interior walls and floor:

Close up of the floor:

This is supposed to be an aft bulkhead c/w fold out desk (even has a lip on the front and a swack of cigarette cartons and cans of beer (hey, I never said the flightcrew was legit)

Close up of the Rear Observer's swivel-seat in progress.  Yes, there's even a height adjust lever, a hinged back and some other stuff (I just forgot what)

Ed S

Nice work on those details.  Looks like another winner in the making.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.