Runway explosion in Japan

Started by Nick, October 03, 2024, 07:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

There was an explosion under a runway at Miyazaki Airport in Japan, just one minute after a loaded passenger jet rolled over that spot. It is believed to be a previously unknown bomb dropped during WW2 by the USAAF.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/videos/cy430j48kjyo

Mossie

Lucky no-one was hurt.  We had a bomb that was found near the M62 a few years back, the motorway was closed while a controlled explosion was performed for the above reason.  80 years later these bombs can still be deadly.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Some ground penetrating radar might be a good idea. Who knows how many others are in the ground.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on October 03, 2024, 07:50:58 AMLucky no-one was hurt.  We had a bomb that was found near the M62 a few years back, the motorway was closed while a controlled explosion was performed for the above reason.  80 years later these bombs can still be deadly.

80 years later, these bombs can get MORE deadly. A lot of explosive compounds get more unstable when they have water seeping though them for decades and undergo various chemical reactions. Some of the huge mines dug under opposing trenches in WWI spontaneous went off went off decades later for this reason. That's why you NEVER mess with ordnance that's come out of the ground, no matter how "obviously" dysfunctional it looks. Yes, the fuse might be a solid blob of rust that'll never move again, but the actual explosive might have gone from being as stable as plastique to being as twitchy as nitro-glycerine.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

There's still a great deal of unexploded ordnance lying around most of the cities of Western Europe. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

France is still finding and disposing of old ordnance on an almost daily basis. From anywhere and everywhere.
I recall a Readers' Digest story about the unit that disposed of a couple of 75mm Sherman rounds that were found in a niche in a stone wall separating two fields.
Put them down and then get distracted...

They were the battlefields of choice during most of the European Wars, so not surprising.

Captain Canada

That's wild ! Looked like a small bomb, or maybe a big one that was quite deep ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Depends if it was a full power explosion as it was designed or a low grade partial. Either way, not fun if you're standing there.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Being an ex-Disposal man my advice is not to touch anything, no matter inviting it might look.  Bombs in particular can often still function decades after being dropped and are often equipped with boobytraps to catch the unwary.  Shells are also dangerous due to decay of explosives.  Just DO NOT TOUCH things and tell the local police upon discovery, they alert the army and they'll deal with it.  I occasionally read of kids finding something and playing with it to their destruction.  Just do not touch anything you don't understand.   :banghead:  :banghead: 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: rickshaw on October 04, 2024, 09:42:16 PMBeing an ex-Disposal man my advice is not to touch anything, no matter inviting it might look.  Bombs in particular can often still function decades after being dropped and are often equipped with boobytraps to catch the unwary.  Shells are also dangerous due to decay of explosives.  Just DO NOT TOUCH things and tell the local police upon discovery, they alert the army and they'll deal with it.  I occasionally read of kids finding something and playing with it to their destruction.  Just do not touch anything you don't understand.   :banghead:  :banghead: 

So don't pick it up and take it down the cop shop then?
"Look what I found..."
 :unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on October 04, 2024, 10:25:09 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on October 04, 2024, 09:42:16 PMBeing an ex-Disposal man my advice is not to touch anything, no matter inviting it might look.  Bombs in particular can often still function decades after being dropped and are often equipped with boobytraps to catch the unwary.  Shells are also dangerous due to decay of explosives.  Just DO NOT TOUCH things and tell the local police upon discovery, they alert the army and they'll deal with it.  I occasionally read of kids finding something and playing with it to their destruction.  Just do not touch anything you don't understand.   :banghead:  :banghead: 

So don't pick it up and take it down the cop shop then?
"Look what I found..."
 :unsure:
No, no!  As the kids discovered when they found a mortar shell in a creek.  You;ll give conniptions to the Coppers who won't know what to do with.  Much easier to leave it undisturbed where you found it.  Let the Coppers alert the Army and let them to deal with it. :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

A sudden and rather worrying thought.  Can the RAF give assurances that every Tallboy and Grand Slam that they dropped actually detonated.....................otherwise, someone somewhere might  one day find that their afternoon has been ruined.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Reminds me of the tale of the Grand Slam that the 21st century 617 Sqdn, then flying Tornado GR4s,  wanted to display outside their hangars at Lossie, to go alongside the Tallboy and Upkeep bombs they already had.

Apparently a Grand Slam was found stored away somewhere in the RAF's vast number of maintenance and storage areas and was duly trucked all the way up to Scotland and then stood on its nose alongside the other two. Sometime later the Squadron Armaments Officer came by and thought he'd just give the 'unarmed' bomb a cursory look over. To his horror he found it was not only still full of Torpex but it still had all three fuses in place!

A team were rounded up to 'de-arn' it rather quickly while activities at Lossie came to a rather abrupt halt for a while................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Lots of unexploded bombs discovered when I was a kid, indeed we used to play on a couple of old bomb sites. They still find the odd one around my neck of the woods nowadays.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

So very true.  During Range Orientation at Warren Grove bombing range, we were advised that as well as being reminded to not drive over the tail assemblies of BDU-25s.  They also reminded us that 177EOD usually makes a day out of disposing any ordinance still live...and that there were at least a couple of undetonated Mk13 torpedoes somewhere within the impact area the Navy dropped to see if they could also be used as bombs.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng