Runway explosion in Japan

Started by Nick, October 03, 2024, 07:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 05, 2024, 05:52:40 AMReminds me of the tale of the Grand Slam that the 21st century 617 Sqdn, then flying Tornado GR4s,  wanted to display outside their hangars at Lossie, to go alongside the Tallboy and Upkeep bombs they already had.

Apparently a Grand Slam was found stored away somewhere in the RAF's vast number of maintenance and storage areas and was duly trucked all the way up to Scotland and then stood on its nose alongside the other two. Sometime later the Squadron Armaments Officer came by and thought he'd just give the 'unarmed' bomb a cursory look over. To his horror he found it was not only still full of Torpex but it still had all three fuses in place!

A team were rounded up to 'de-arn' it rather quickly while activities at Lossie came to a rather abrupt halt for a while................

Do you mean it was found in "The Back of a Hanger"?  ;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 05, 2024, 06:19:55 AMDo you mean it was found in "The Back of a Hanger"?  ;)

Probably.

Rumour had it that they put a word out that they were looking for one, and lo and behold. someone just 'found one'. Quite how they missed something THAT big I've no idea.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I really must get round to writing up  "Tales from 14 MU"..................stories I have gathered from stores supervisors and clerical staff at RAF 14 Maintenance Unit; Carlisle.  Somewhere I have a list that a senior civilian  officer gave me of  what he called "  Unexpected items in the bagging area"   when the final stocktake/audit was done as the unit closed down.   I can remember that among the items were six crates of  WRAF bloomers, size XXL  and three RR Griffon propellors suitable for the Shackleton MR3..  More to follow when I find the list.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Quote from: scooter on October 05, 2024, 06:04:36 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on October 04, 2024, 09:42:16 PMBeing an ex-Disposal man my advice is not to touch anything, no matter inviting it might look.  Bombs in particular can often still function decades after being dropped and are often equipped with boobytraps to catch the unwary.  Shells are also dangerous due to decay of explosives.  Just DO NOT TOUCH things and tell the local police upon discovery, they alert the army and they'll deal with it.  I occasionally read of kids finding something and playing with it to their destruction.  Just do not touch anything you don't understand.  :banghead:  :banghead: 

So very true.  During Range Orientation at Warren Grove bombing range, we were advised that as well as being reminded to not drive over the tail assemblies of BDU-25s.  They also reminded us that 177EOD usually makes a day out of disposing any ordinance still live...and that there were at least a couple of undetonated Mk13 torpedoes somewhere within the impact area the Navy dropped to see if they could also be used as bombs.

There's a legend around here that sometimes after WW2, a group of young lads found an unexploded bomb. Being curious sorts, they carried it to a nearby rail bridge to see what would happen if they dropped it. A dog walker spotted them and got them to gently lower it to the ground, then run like hell! No idea if it's true, but it's persisted.

Also, the nearest stretch of coast was home to an offshore bomb range at RAF Cowden it was closed in the 90's. Bits of rusty metal still get washed up now, there's big placards warning to leave them alone and call the Police.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 05, 2024, 09:31:46 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 05, 2024, 06:19:55 AMDo you mean it was found in "The Back of a Hanger"?  ;)

Probably.

Rumour had it that they put a word out that they were looking for one, and lo and behold. someone just 'found one'. Quite how they missed something THAT big I've no idea.

Likely it was known about, but the person in charge of all the 'stuff onsite' kept listing it as something that was too big to be gotten rid of easily, so 'We'll just keep listing it in the annual inventory and ignoring it thereafter.'
Letting it become his replacements' problem.

Mr Rheged, that list would make interesting reading. :thumbsup:

killnoizer

Bomb founds are daily Business here in germany,  Hannover with his Industrial areas is a hot spot for that. Two of my friends working with that.
We often had local evacuations for the recovery
 ( last one was one week ago ) .

It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

kerick

Lots of stories like the guy who wanted to weld the supposedly empty hand grenade to his hot rods gear shift handle. Bad idea.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

Quote from: Rheged on October 05, 2024, 03:31:34 AMA sudden and rather worrying thought.  Can the RAF give assurances that every Tallboy and Grand Slam that they dropped actually detonated.....................otherwise, someone somewhere might  one day find that their afternoon has been ruined.

There was this one found in a canal on the Poland-Germany border from 2020 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54522203

Quote from: Mossie on October 05, 2024, 12:34:40 PMAlso, the nearest stretch of coast was home to an offshore bomb range at RAF Cowden it was closed in the 90's. Bits of rusty metal still get washed up now, there's big placards warning to leave them alone and call the Police.

Cowden, you say?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-humber-53692104
Check the tache on the Royal Engineers EOD Sergeant!

Rheged

Quote from: Nick on October 06, 2024, 10:13:14 AMCheck the tache on the Royal Engineers EOD Sergeant!

It's an aerodynamic shielding device.  As a blast wave reaches the moustache,  turbulence is created by the 'tache which deflects particulate matter from the explosion away from the eyes.   Some years ago, we had a similar discussion on this forum about the aerodynamic downforce created by formula one driver Graham Hill's moustache.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on October 06, 2024, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: Nick on October 06, 2024, 10:13:14 AMCheck the tache on the Royal Engineers EOD Sergeant!

It's an aerodynamic shielding device.  As a blast wave reaches the moustache,  turbulence is created by the 'tache which deflects particulate matter from the explosion away from the eyes.   Some years ago, we had a similar discussion on this forum about the aerodynamic downforce created by formula one driver Graham Hill's moustache.

;D  ;D  :thumbsup: