Gulf War Phantom

Started by Devilfish, October 03, 2024, 10:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

I've been wanting to do a what if RAF Phantom for some time.  My plan was to do it with Sea Eagle missiles.

The back story being that after the cancellation of the TSR2, the RAF got Buccaneer and Phantoms.  Unfortunately the deal that would have lead to the Jaguar fell through, as the French wanted a more basic trainer aircraft.  After that the MRCA project was abandoned after several countries  couldn't agree on the spec.  This left the RAF with just the Harrier, Buccaneer, Lightning and Phantom as frontline aircraft. 

To boost numbers, an order was placed for 40 extra F-4J phantoms to serve in the ground attack role. These were given the designation FGR.3, although the "F" part was never used.

Roll on to the late 1970's and cracks started appearing in the Buccaneer's wing spars.  The fleet was checked and half were deemed unfit, so were scrapped, leaving the Phantoms to take over their roles.

It was at this point I was going to build my F-4 as a 12Sqn aircraft, but when I started thinking about colour schemes I realised that I had a choice between camo (possibly wraparound) and grey, both of which would look too much like actual RW 'tooms......So.....

56 Sqn in Germany were reequipping their FGR.3's to carry the new ALARM missiles.  Around this time Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, so a NATO force was sent to Saudi Arabia.  Amongst these were 56 Sqn aircraft to act as SEAD (suppression of enemy air defences).  Hurriedly painted in desert pink and flown out, the paint started wearing almost immediately.

Kit is the excellent Academy 1/48 F-4J.  I can't praise this kit enough.  ALARM missiles are from the Airfix Tornado EF.3.

The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice a bit missing....I lost that bit, so I just went on without it...
20241003_175244 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_175312 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_175253 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_175303 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_174758 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_174807 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_174815 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20241003_174820 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

scooter

Looks like a couple of Italian Tornadoes I saw way back when I was in Iceland (92-93 time-frame). :thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Excellent ! Love the load out, and how dirty she is. I turned my eagle eyes up to full blast, but I still can't see what's missing....
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Very very nice 👌 👍 😊 ☺️
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

That's a nice idea!  :thumbsup: And the ALARMs are a nice contemporary touch that fits well, too.

Rick Lowe

Devilfish

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 04, 2024, 01:26:08 AM:thumbsup:

Refueling Probe?

Starboard side, next to the rear seater, same as the Spey engined ones

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Devilfish on October 04, 2024, 02:14:20 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 04, 2024, 01:26:08 AM:thumbsup:

Refueling Probe?

Starboard side, next to the rear seater, same as the Spey engined ones

K, I was looking for something fixed; then I can't spot what's missing... and it doesn't detract from the build either.  :thumbsup:

comrade harps

Love the ALE-40 dispensers, a nice touch  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

smeds

Fuel dump pipe under rudder is MIA  ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Devilfish