UK space agency heavy-lift one

Started by Devilfish, October 03, 2024, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Back in 2017 I built my BAe Eagle PR5, using 2 sets of wings, some plastic card and LOTS of filler
104_2953_zps33a13bf2 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Well, it was time for a revamp, so I decided to build the other big wing TSR I've been wanting to do for a while....

a lifting vehicle for the UK space agency

The UKSA originally wanted 2 modified PR5s, but budget constraints limited them to one.  Apart from the supports for the spacecraft, the single tail was replaced with twin units and strakes underneath.  Two chemical fuelled boosters were fitted under the wings to assist with getting the aircraft up to 100,000 feet, where it would launch the test vehicle.  The UKSA test vehicle consists of a small single seat reusable lifting body, with a version of the space shuttles ceramic tiles underneath.  Initial thrust is provided by a pair of solid fuel boosters, then a chemical rocket takes over.
Due to i's size and overall yellow colour, the "heavylift one" was named "Big Bird" by it's crews, and the groundcrew painted Sesame Street's character on the side.

The "spacecraft" is an old Revell version of the F-19 stealth with different tailfins and a 3D printed rocket motor nozzle.  The boosters on both aircraft are from a 1/24 Harrier. The solid boosters are Mk82 bombs with 3D printed nozzles and the chemical ones are SNEB rocket pods with 3D printed nozzles again.

20240930_174951 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181609 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181600 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181329 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181341 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181402 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181525 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181502 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181448 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181429 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20240930_181437 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Hobbes

Oh, that's excellent! Great use of the F-19  :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Now that is cool. For sure she's a big bird ! Imagine seeing this fly over ? Wow. Nice work !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

buzzbomb

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

What they all said!
I always loved Big Bird.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Fan bloody tastic..simple as that   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Sweet!  :thumbsup:

You don't see too many of the old Monogram Stealth aircraft.

Old Wombat

Very good build, but it's the F-19 test vehicle that does it for me! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

It reminds me if the SR-71/D-21 combo. I like it. :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.