P-51D "Lollipoop II"

Started by frank2056, October 06, 2024, 02:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

This is an OOB build of the Airfix 1/72 P-51D.

Ralph is an older neighbor one street over. He's very well versed in the exploits of the Tuskegee Airmen and the 100th Fighter Squadron and even has a WWII flying helmet in his home office.

The Airfix kit depicts 1LT Spurgeon Neal Ellington's P-51D. It was a quick and easy build and it comes with an extensive decal sheet (I only applied about half). The end result - for such a quick build - is pretty nice. The only addition is the base, which is from Round 2.

I'll give it to Ralph this week.

I took off the scrap of plastic on the starboard wing:

PR19_Kit

That looks terrific, and your mate Ralph will surely love it too.  :thumbsup:

The link is fascinating, and very interesting. I love the bit about Lt. Leonard Jackson being shot down, and when he managed to return he brought two prisoners with him!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2024, 03:04:58 PMThat looks terrific, and your mate Ralph will surely love it too.  :thumbsup:

The link is fascinating, and very interesting. I love the bit about Lt. Leonard Jackson being shot down, and when he managed to return he brought two prisoners with him!  ;D

Indeed!  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Come out well and will be appreciated  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Thanks guys - Ralph really loved the model. He was reorganizing his office and said he had a perfect spot to display it.

Making real world models is interesting, but obviously far more constraining than a whiff.