BTR-152 Self Propelled 76.2mm Gun

Started by buzzbomb, October 07, 2024, 02:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Just finished a full on RW build of the Asuka M4A4 Sherman for my Brit armour collection.
So time for a palate cleanser, quick build back in Whiff world.

Well whiff world as far as I know.. with the BTR-152 being the focus, there are lots of interesting fitouts, somewhere this might already have been done.
I have this old build of a BTR-152 and being Skif, rather average

Working through what to do with it a few ideas popped up, until a interwebnet search popped up a random picture of the the M3 Halftrack with the 105mm howitzer fitted.
When then led to the long unbuilt stash kit of the equally average Italeri/Zvesda Soviet 76.2mm field gun. Why not mate them together ?

Now working through the gun mount and possible operators. So far, I am thinking Central Africa, maybe Vietnam (they are still using BTR-152 apparently), Cuba, maybe Syria or similar.
Not going to be a long build, once the gun was "together" it was largely done, just fitting out to suit the installation.

buzzbomb

Doing a bit of catch up after some time away from the bench on a road trip.

Mount, ammo storage and other internal gubbins like seats

Pretty happy with the sit of the gun, there is a barrel crutch as well, just not shown yet.

The hand wringing now is the paint. Very undecided as to who would use this.
So far I have considered
Bosnian (Serb-Bosnian 1980's Conflict) and Cuba, both having a good tradition of modifying available stuff, not matter what the age.
Angolan or Syrian also in the mix.

Cuba is currently the most likely given they have a great array of vehicles modified from older kit and have had both main components in their orbat.

Wardukw

I love this Brian mate 👍
It's the prefect mix of two very average models and making em cool 😎
Syria or Cuban would be my pics ..like ya say..the BTR is still in use ..hell Vietnam could still in included for sure ...yep not making the decision making process here easier  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

I've seen a 152 in a patchwork scheme (like the berlin brigade pattern but not as regular or square sided) of greys and browns and buffs.
Not sure of the operator, likely someone in the middle east, but who's to say other operators couldn't use something similar?

I also like Igor and the effect of the water flowing - I hope he's ok and slated for reuse, not just headed for the 'great parts box in the sky'?
Maybe with a change of head and/or headgear, he could be placed back where he was?

zenrat

SKIF BTR-152.  I've got that exact kit.  Doesn't look as bad OOB as I expected.  I was grokking it just last week when looking for Commandos in one of my distributed stash boxes.

How about the South Lebanese Army sky blue scheme?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Nice work ! I love the guy in the first shot....such realism ! And the ammo storage is a nice touch.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 07, 2024, 09:27:54 PMI also like Igor and the effect of the water flowing - I hope he's ok and slated for reuse, not just headed for the 'great parts box in the sky'?

Igor, will probably get a re-run elsewhere.. it actually worked better than I expected. That part was better than the rest of the build in that life ;)

Quote from: Wardukw on October 09, 2024, 12:57:05 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 08, 2024, 04:26:03 AMRussian 2025 ;D  ;)
😃😃😃
Surely not... but :o

Fred.. not this time, generic greens of no particular nationality.

Nonetheless, calling this done. Generic paint so it can be whoever you want it to be

Old Wombat

Yep, I'm going Vozdushno-desantnye voyska Rossii (VDV), Kurskaya oblast' ca. August 2025. ;D  ;D  ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Looks good Brian. :thumbsup:

I've found more pics of that BTR Recovery truck.  I may try to knock one up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's a nice piece of work. Well done sir  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

I wish someone would make a brand new 35th scale  kit of the BTR 152 because I still have bad thoughts about the Skif one  ;D  :banghead:

Weaver

That looks good, and very credible too. Well done!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

Nice model. :thumbsup:

And good news about Igor!

A nice, new and cheap 1/35 kit would be tempting.