Main Menu

Polar Wars - The Rules

Started by NARSES2, October 12, 2024, 05:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right gentlemen here are the proposed rules for the Polar War GB

1.  The Polar War GB begins 00:01 1st November 2024  and ends 23:59 31st January 2025 (all times local).  An extension may/may not be considered/granted according to demand,

2.  Physical models of any scale, profiles, and/or stories are eligible. but they need to be representative of use in polar locations, including extraterrestrial ice worlds such as Andoria, Hoth, or Europa.  For the purposes of this group build, Earth-based "Polar Locations" is defined as above 60 degrees North/South latitude.

Entries can be as simple or as complex as you wish. If in doubt as to what is included in the GB then please PM the Moderators.

3.  You may build, draw or write as many entries as you like (good luck!).  The posting of in-progress pictures is encouraged as always. If you are unsure as to how to post pictures of your build on site, then please contact Narses2 by Personal Message and he will go through it with you.

When posting your finished models in the Finished Builds Thread can you try and stick as closely as possible to the following format;

Title : By (entrants user name) : a brief description backstory/explanation (100 characters or so) : and a maximum of three pictures with a link to the build/progress thread. This will also apply to profiles/images.

Where members have written a story for their GB entry, they should post it in the Finished Builds Thread as normal.

Can members also refrain from posting any comments regarding entries within the Finished Builds Thread but use the link to the main build/progress thread page for these. This makes the Moderators task when it comes to organising the poll much simpler.

4.  Preparation work is allowed prior to the start of the GB but is limited to thinking, removal and cleaning up of parts from sprues, casting blocks or cutting out vacform parts from their backing sheet, even designing and printing your own decals.  The design and printing of 3D parts is also allowed, but no assembly. Anything involving modification of parts, test fitting, pre-painting and actual assembly is not allowed prior to the start of the GB, but see Rule 5 below.

While not compulsory we do like to see a picture of "The Beginning".  A pile of parts and kit boxes on your bench, a clean sheet of paper and a sharpened pencil, or your big brain throbbing with inspiration for example.

5.  Part-started models may be used purely at the discretion of the Moderators providing they are not too close to being finished, and this will be the Moderators decision. You must send pictures of the model you intend to use in the GB, along with a rough idea of what your plans for it are via a PM and their decision will be final. However, they must have been started prior to the current GB Season's themes being announced. We will be relying on the integrity of the membership to uphold this rule. If using a part started kit then this should be clearly stated at the beginning of your build thread.
Scrapped models that have been reduced to component parts or sections can be used, although you should check with the Moderators if you are not sure about the eligibility of those you intend to use. You can also use a completed sub-assembly taken from a kit which may have been previously assembled and which the whiffer wants to build into their GB entry. If in doubt, then as usual contact the Moderators with as much information as possible.

6.  Nothing to see here.  Move along please.

7.  Moderators are Scooter and Wardukw. Thank you, gentlemen.

8.  The completed entries thread will be locked at the end of the GB and only those items posted prior to it being locked will be eligible for the vote. shortly afterwards the polls will be set up.

The number of votes per forum member will be based upon a ratio of one vote per three entries, rounded up or down to the nearest whole number.
In the event of a tie in either poll there will be no run-off. We will simply have a joint first place and then a third place (no second) this is to preserve the three into the Whiffies as detailed in Rule 9. Similarly, a three way tie will mean there is no second and third. (Please don't ask me about a four way tie !)

9.  The first three placed entries in each of the Group Build polls will automatically be nominated for a Whiffy in the specific Group Build Class.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Perhaps want to clarify if non-military polar subjects (exploration, etc) are allowed? 

Otherwise looks great. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 12, 2024, 06:06:22 AMPerhaps want to clarify if non-military polar subjects (exploration, etc) are allowed? 

Otherwise looks great. 

I think the rules are opened ended enough that if polar exploration, whalers, etc. are the subject, it'd be accepted without much question.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 12, 2024, 06:06:22 AMPerhaps want to clarify if non-military polar subjects (exploration, etc) are allowed? 

Otherwise looks great. 
I'll back up Scooter on that ..like take something military and convert to civilian would work too .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

ISTR, fishing has been a cause for conflict if not all out "war"...

Old Wombat

You could also postulate "Polar Resource Wars", with private companies battling it out for mining rights, etc.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2024, 05:15:04 PMYou could also postulate "Polar Resource Wars", with private companies battling it out for mining rights, etc.
Quote from: perttime on October 12, 2024, 11:03:09 AMISTR, fishing has been a cause for conflict if not all out "war"...

Yes, 'resource' exploitation, as what occurred during the three Cod Wars between Iceland and UK between 1949 and 1976, so long as it remains within the geographic confines as stated in Rule 2.  If you're going extraterrestrial with this, on to Mars rather than Europa for example, double check with Dukwy and myself.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

The Track Rover may make an honorary reappearance.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2024, 11:23:11 PMThe Track Rover may make an honorary reappearance.  ;D
Hmmmmm ..that's kinda giving me an idea 💡 🤔
Bur without tracks 👣
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

loupgarou

Quote from: perttime on October 12, 2024, 11:03:09 AMISTR, fishing has been a cause for conflict if not all out "war"...

Hmmm.... Moby Dick Vs Achab  ;D
Could have an interesting development: cetaceans against humans.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on October 13, 2024, 12:31:06 AMCould have an interesting development: cetaceans against humans.

Having being lucky enough to have swam with dolphins I know whose side I'm on  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: loupgarou on October 13, 2024, 12:31:06 AM

Hmmm.... Moby Dick Vs Achab  ;D
Could have an interesting development: cetaceans against humans.
I can imagine Achad now using a hydroplane or hovercraft but ol Moby tho ..can't see what he'll use  :wacko:  ;D  ;D

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2024, 12:53:02 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on October 13, 2024, 12:31:06 AMCould have an interesting development: cetaceans against humans.

Having being lucky enough to have swam with dolphins I know whose side I'm on  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.
That look on your face is giving off a not excited vibe  ;D   ;D

McColm

Does this mean that the heavy equipment used in the construction of the Distant Early Warning Line can be included in this Group Build?

zenrat

60º South/North includes a lot more inhabited regions of the Northern Hemisphere than I initially thought (not just the Antarctic and Arctic Circles as I initially assumed).  However, the important stuff goes on at the other end of the globe.
My as yet unpublished Brief History of the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria: Part 2 states that WW2 was ended by an RAF Lincoln, flying off the Habakkak class berg-carrier HMS Havabanana, which dropped a Nuclear Bomb on the secret Japanese Antarctic base.  The resulting atomic fireball resulted in the melting of the Antarctic ice cap.  Post war, anti-radiation vehicles were sent into the Antarctic interior to survey the area and search for advanced technology beyond the Mountains of Madness...

Is Antarctic and Arctic snow and ice a pre-requisite for inclusion in this GB?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..