F-14 Tomcat

Started by Matt Wiser, April 02, 2004, 10:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overscan

Well, the avionics on the F-14 were mighty expensive, so removing the AWG-9 is a good cost-saving measure. Maybe the UK version might have an indigenous "Blue Circle" radar ;)

Replacing the TF30s with Speys (or TF41s, for Evan ;) might also have been a winner. It couldn't have been more troublesome than the TF30...
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

elmayerle

If the Brits are flying the Arrow or the FD.3 (mind you, I prefer the Arrow, but that's personal predjudice there), the radar there would give a good start on one for the export F-14.  Alternatively, the APG-64 that was suggested for the F-15N would be a good candidate in that most of it would be in production already for the F-15.  As to the engines, yeah, I'm predjudiced there, too; the Spey 200 in the Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 produces roughly 20,000 lbt. in afterburner while the afterburning TF41 was demonstrated reliably at some 26,000 lbt. in afterburner.  That makes a big difference in performance.  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

nev

But remove the AWG-9 and the Phoenix and you remove a huge chunk of the Tomcats capability.  There've been plenty of planes that have been downgraded for export, then no one buys them cos they think "well, whats the point now?"

And would all those "cost cutting" measures actually drive the price up a la Eurofighter?

Actually, do all those cost cutting measures, then have them double the price of the already hideously expensive Tomcat and make it 10 years late in service.  As long as its Britain or Canada buying it, I think thats pretty realistic, don't you?  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

elmayerle

That's one reason I suggested the APG-64 from the F-15N proposal.  You'd still keep the AIM-54 capability, just might not have some of the features, and it would be cheaper than the AWG-9.  I suspect the final radar fit of the Arrow might make a good alternate radar, too, if it had gone into production and service (though I can see it with AIM-54's, too).

overscan

If you use APG-64 you might not need the WSO either- maybe replace the rear seat with more fuel.

For an long range patrol role the swing wings are a great asset for loitering.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

Geoff_B

I have seen in a book the cut down F-14 design with a single seat and fixed wings (TsrJoe has the book at the moment so i'll have to get him to scan it for us).

Don't forget boys if we already had the FD-111 (or Arrow - i'm biased the other way of course) then we would alreday have a rather powerful engine coupled with a long range Missile/Radr combination so later developments of these could be intergrated into a revised F-14 design as these would have been tweaked and upgraded whilst the aircraft was in service - Add ramjet and rocket booster to Red Hebe to get the range & speed plus improvements to the seeker head or use the system from the hughes missle.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Davey B

I'd have used the RB.431 engine: essentially a straight-through Pegasus. In my What-If verse, it'd also be in production for the HS.1202-9 Viper, which beat the F-16 for the contract to replace NATO fighters  ;)

Second crew bod would've remained to allow for easier workload. .431 would be used for both commonality and because it was more powerful than the TF30, allowing for use from smaller carriers.

Dave  :cheers:  

Leigh

Possibly my next build is an F-14A in U.S.M.C. markings and this paint scheme

Tomcat Ferris

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Matt Wiser

Two USMC squadrons were in the ground school phase of transitioning from F-4s to F-14s when the USMC Commandant cancelled the USMC F-14 program in 1975. The two were VMFA-122 and VMFA-531. About the only time the Commandant was ever, ever cussed out by Marines was by the pilots/RIOs at the NAS Miramar O'Club when they heard the news. There were supposed to be two more squadrons going to Tomcats, but which ones had not been decided when the program was canned. The 1970s grey on white USN/MC scheme would have been what the Tomcats wore in USMC service, and they would have probably worn the same tactical grey scheme introduced in the '80s.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Mike Wren

anyway, enough carping, here's a model...

USMC F-14

elmayerle

I recently acquired one of Esci's ASAT F-15C kits.  Looking at teh Vought ASM-135, it occurs to me that it'd fit nicely under the Phoenix pallest under a F-14.  So I'm looking at an ASAT variant of a F-14D or F-14E with two of these.

Comments?

Also, since all the parts for this missile are on one sprue, would someone here be able to make some clones of these parts for me?

Thanks,
Evan

Jeffry Fontaine

Evan;

Sounds like the perfect mission for the F-14 in the middle of a WESTPAC cruise to launch and take out a RORSAT prior to execution of OPLAN XXX-XXX. 

I broke down and purchased a pair of those same kits just to get the missiles and the 318th FIS markings. 

As for making a clone, well, that is possible, if you are in the market for mulitples.  I think Terry Dean might be able to make you some in metal or resin.  Metal ASATs would do well for keeping the nose wheel on the ground.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

noxioux

Evan, I have some 1/48 odds and ends for both the F-15 and 14, but I don't know what I have that would be useful for an ASAT bird.  I do have a whole buttload of phoenix's that are looking for a good home, though.  Anyone would be welcome to that stuff if they wanted it.

For an ASAT F-14 (SATcat???), would you retain all 4 pallets?  I wonder if 2 on the centerline would work?

To clone parts, I have one of those handy smooth-on sampler packs that has lasted me like 2 years now.  It comes with both parts for the resin and the silicon rubber for molding.  It also has small bottles of sealer and release agent.  It's really easy to just mold and cast replacements/clones.  All you really need is some dixie cups, plasticine clay and something to stir with.  I've had to replace a lot of parts, mostly wheels and engine cones/fans.  The beautiful thing is that you always have the molds for extra parts later on.  The kit is like $25 (US).  I'll try to get the link to their site and post it here.

I can see the tail art now, too:  A black cat with a sputnik clenched in its teeth and claws.

And I haven't forgotten the harrier thingy.  Things have just been really busy here on the farm.  Never a dull moment!

elmayerle

Noxioux,

I'm afreaid I'd need all four pallets as the ASM-135 is rather longer than the AIM-54.  You might be able to shroten the aft pallets, but that's about it.  I'm really planning on doing this one in 1/72 rather than 1/48 (I know Hasegawa did a F-15ASAT in 1/48, but it was bloody expensive when it came out and is more so, now).

Thanks,
Evan

Jeffry Fontaine

Evan;

Another thought on your 1/72nd scale ASAT mission F-14.  Since the Navy has developed an ASAT version of the Standard Missile, why not use the AGM-78 ARM instead as a stand-in for the Standard ASAT?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg