Northrop F-23

Started by elmayerle, April 06, 2005, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

I've got a YF-23 kit set aside for building as a two-seat FB-23 aircraft.  Going by the published info, it does have new inlets.  Does anyone have both the Italieri/Revell/Tamiya 1/72 YF-23 kit and the Panda 1/48 F-35 kit?  I'd like to get a comparison of he inlets regarding size to see if a transpalnt is feasible.

Thanks,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Okay, thanks.  I was rather suspecting that Northrop-Grumman would use a similar technological approach since it does away with diverter plates and improves RCS.  I think I can manage to develop something convincing :D

Jeffry Fontaine

Evan, have you made any progress on your FB-23?  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

Unfortunately, nothing more than "cut this away" markings on kit bits.  Between the nasty rounds of sinus infection this year and working on a 1:1 aircraft or two, I've not got a lot done, period.   :(   I am hoping that the coming year will allow more to get done.

Mossie

Here's a good site for all things on your favourite ATF competitor:
http://www.yf-23.net/index.html

One of the most interesting pages is a bunch of drawings of the proposed F-23A production version.
http://www.yf-23.net/F-23A.html

There's an 'award' section in which Tom's F-23 gets a special mention:
http://www.yf-23.net/award.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

bearmatt

Mossie... Thank you! This is just an awesome site!!! (But also a bit scary...  :blink:) I started recently Italeri's YF-23 and after reading what's wrong with it...I got a bit depressed  :-\
Nevertheless, it's still the best out there (in 1/72 anyway, unless you go for something insane
The carpet monster took it!

Mossie

You're welcome!  I wouldn't worry too much about your Italeri kit unless you want it to be ultra-accurate.  It seems to be reasonably on the money, especially for the age of the kit.  That review has been done by someone intimate with their subject, I think most wouldn't notice the minor changes.

I would like to do an F-23A (or B) but looking at those plans it would mean an almost total rebuild (not that I have a YF-23 kit anyway).  Still, those sectional diagrams make it possible, maybe when I retire eh?  Only another thirty years then! :o
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

bearmatt

By then, there will be for sure a better and more accurate kit available...  ;)
The carpet monster took it!