IL-28K

Started by anthonyp, April 13, 2005, 03:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

(Soviet National Anthem plays in background off a phonograph...)

COMRADES!!!

Today I present a glorious example of mid-1950's Sovient Naval power.  This is the IL-28K Naval Support Bomber.  It initially was the same as it's land based brethren, but had the tailguns removed, with the landing gear strengthened for deck landings.  The plane was launched into the air via a catapult aboard the Rodina class carriers (Rodina and Krasny Tovarishch), with a RATO assist if the plane was heavy loaded with depth bombs or other ordinance.  

In the early 60's, there was an attempt to provide the Soviet Fleets with an AWACs ability.  The IL-28K's were rebuilt with the forward bombadier station replaced with a large radome and radar, with an operator sitting behind it.  The long vacant tail-gunner's station was emptied of the aft balast needed to replace the guns, and a smaller fighter based radar was placed there to cover the rear end of the plane as it flew it's circles above the fleet.  Weapons capabilites were retained, but severly happered by the loss of the bombadier station.  Usually this type carried depth charges or some sort of large depth bomb when on support missions.

NATO was confounded by our ingenuity.  They first called this plane the IL-28K "Sea Beagle," but when they found out that it had become an airborne radar station, they renamed it the "Mean."  About a year after they incorrectly identified this "New aircraft" type, they realized what our true intention for this airplane was when they realized that the bombay was still used.  In order to make themselves feel better, the capitalistic pig-dogs began to refer to our glorious naval bomber in rather demeaning ways, playing off their "popular culture" which is a far cry from what "popular culture" should be.  Names such as "Mean Beagle," "Dastardly Daschund," and "Sinister Snoopy" all were applied to the plane, but the one that stuck until it was withdrawn from service in 1967 was "Bad Dog."  If an all-out confllict with the American Navy broke out, this "Bad Dog" would bite them hard.

(Soviet Naval anthem still playing on phonograph)

This was built from a 1/72 Italeri (read:  rather poor fitting) IL-28.  I accidentally broke off the tailguns, thus the rear radome.  I didn't like the forward cockpit area, so I used some putty to try and cover it up and buldge it out.  It was kind of effective.  I figure the tailhook was concealed behind some doors on the aft fuselage,  and the main gear needed to be beefed up, so I added some bits of leftover landing gear from some old model that's long since flew off to only it knows where.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

anthonyp

Ollie

You are a machine.

No one in the West can hope of matching your output!

:cheers:

Davey B

Churning out models like sausages from a machine!  :lol:

Comrade, my highest commendations! As she is on time, the NKVD have been recalled and your granny shall be returned.