JHM's Leigh-Build

Started by John Howling Mouse, April 15, 2005, 07:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Well, it's just after 7 pm Sunday over here.
I got as far as the first stage of putty but had to break for the 3 Orion chicks on "Enterprise" (have a man-ho weakness for semi-clothed green women, what can I say?).

So, instead of getting a kit DONE, I've simply added to the pile of works in progress.  Good thing is that I can work on the different stages of various kits on the go.

And, when I'm done these two, I'll finally have a pair of Phantoms in my collection!

:)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Cool!

What putty did you use on that one?

I bought a tube of Bondo yesterday, and it's pretty liquid compared to the Tamiya...

:unsure:  

nev

Hey, just change it from a weekend build to a week build  ;)

Looking good tho Baz, shame about the Canopy thing as Phantoms look so much better with the cockpits open (we discussed this many moons ago and I think we came to a collective conclusion that planes with double canopies look cool with them open, planes with single canopies don't).
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Totally not Nev!

A P-51 with all the flaps dropped and the canopy open is cool, so are the majority of prop fighters...

C-FWOL is prettier with the canopy open on the ground for instance.

;)  :wub:  

nev

no, thats a different kind of open canopy!

I'm talking about hinged canopies, not sliding ones  :tornado:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Well then, you should have made the precision, eh!

You got me all worked up on this...

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :cheers:  

Gary

Hey Nev, I've always been facinated by the sliding Javelin's canopy. How would rate that one?

Getting back into modeling

nev

Its a Javelin, anything about it is ugly!  :P

Apparantly the first time top Russian designers saw it they were appalled by its dreadful looks and all around ungainlyness  ;)   "It'll never flyski" they said.

Davey B

In terms of overall aesthetics, the Jav was just a subsonic Phantom  :P

It didn't fly, the air just leaped out of the way in mortal terror  :dum:

Still, Phantoms: lookin' good, Baz!

lancer

QuoteIts a Javelin, anything about it is ugly!  :P

Apparantly the first time top Russian designers saw it they were appalled by its dreadful looks and all around ungainlyness  ;)   "It'll never flyski" they said.
BURN YOU HERITIC!!!!!!!!!! :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :dum:  :lol:  :lol:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Radish

The Javelin.....AWESOME.
I just love it.
It's so massive and slow!
Fantastic :P  B)  B)  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

QuoteIts a Javelin, anything about it is ugly!  :P

Except it's T-Tail, naturally (JHM: Proud owner of a 1:48 vacformed Javelin---but only the one; oh, and a little Airfix kit, too)

John Howling Mouse

QuoteCool!

What putty did you use on that one?

I bought a tube of Bondo yesterday, and it's pretty liquid compared to the Tamiya...

:unsure:
Just good ol' Tamiya silver putty.

The Bondo stuff is very liquid, especially at first; I found it helped to stick a long piece of sprue in the tube and actually mix it around since it does separate in the tube a bit.

Eventually, it seems to thicken up towards the end of the tube's use.

Ollie

Roger Barry,

my initial tests show that it's not bad at all, I'll keep on mixing the mix though...

:unsure:  :cheers:  

Leigh

While fishing around wondering whether I can make an R.A.F. Phantom from an F-4S kit stumbled upon this again.
So what's that Baz eleven and a half months for a one week build?
Any progress?
Or are the Rhino's banished to the same place as my Barracuda, Hellcat, Skyraider and A-37 you know that shelf on the bench where half completed project gather dust.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models