new TSR2 DVD

Started by Mike Wren, May 10, 2005, 07:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

just had a flyer through from the supplier about this, should be available in a few days, if anyone's interested let me know & I can sort out a discount  ;)

should be at the top of this page

(couldn't find a better picture)

elmayerle

Is it available in NTSC format or strictly PAL?  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mike Wren

QuoteIs it available in NTSC format or strictly PAL?
Evan, here you go

"All DVDs sold by DD Video are Region 2 unless otherwise stated and all videos are PAL VHS format"

:huh:

Supertom

Region 2?  Nuts.  Hey wait, can we play region 2 DVDs on computer DVD-ROM drives?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

nev

Yeah, you can usually download some software from somewhere that will allow you to play any regions DVD on your DVD-ROM.  I'd google for your particular model of DVD-ROM to find a suitable file.

Hey, wait a minute, you're supposed to be the technical one!  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

<groan> Couldn't they have foregone that silly region-coding nonsense for this kind of DVD? I mean, the only thing region coding is useful for is limiting distribution of movies, something only Hollywood wants. For documentaries like this one, you want as wide a distribution as possible. Adding a region code amounts to shooting yourself in the foot, as you'd have to either eat the extra cost of producing DVDs for all regions, or limit sales to whatever region you're producing for.

Spellbinder99

Luckily all DVD players sold here in Oman are region free from the factory. They haven't been hacked or modded, they just come out of the box that way even though they say they are region 2 on the box.
So region 1,2 or 4 I say.......Bring It On!

Cheers

Tony

Mike Wren

most DVD players are easy to make multi region, do a google search under the DVD manufacturer, model number & 'multi region' or something like that & most have a little code you can put in

Hatchet

QuoteRegion 2?  Nuts.  Hey wait, can we play region 2 DVDs on computer DVD-ROM drives?
Playstation 2 is multi-region, too

Spellbinder99

Uh, no. Not unless it has been hacked. It is NTSC or PAL coded depending on the base TV system in the region it was sold in and it is region coded to the local region as well. My PAL PS2 bought in Australia will only play Region 4 PAL disks.

Anything else it will just pull up a black screen with a region code warning on it.

NTSC (or Never The Same Colour)?  :blink:

Cheers

Tony

GTX

I just got this DVD - a very good watch :thumbsup:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

OK, DVD illiterate here, what's this region stuff ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChrisF

Dvd's from certain groups of countries only work in that specific region. So American Dvd's only work on American players... Euro dvds on euro players and so forth....

But as has already been mentioned its so easy to get round this its virtually pointless anyway..

kitnut617

Thanks Chris,  here's something that I found out when I moved to Canada from the UK, I had to sell all my electrical equipment especially anything that had an electric motor for turning things, record player, tape deck, VCR player, drills, skilsaws, sewing machine (the wife's) etc ( you get the idea) Reason was in the UK plug-ins are 250 VAC and over here it's 110 VAC, plus the cycle wave is different, not sure which was shorter but even if I had a North American orientated piece of equipment, like a tape deck or VHS player, they wouldn't play tapes I had bought in the UK at the correct speed no matter how much adjusting you did to the settings, the tapes ran s-l-o-w-l-y.  The European 120 VAC doesn't work right over here either.

I had some VHS tapes I wanted to keep, like the TSR-2 one, and I had to take them to a shop who could convert them into NA format.  I would imagine this is the same problem still.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Yes and no. Electrical equipment not working is due to technical differences (it's more expensive to build applicances that work with all power standards, although it's getting more common these days esp. in Europe). Region coding is a money-grabbing move by the movie studios who don't want you importing American DVDs into the UK.