EA-71, FAStWAC

Started by cthulhu77, May 20, 2005, 01:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Cutting away madly today...and just starting to bondo the joints...lots of work ahead !!!!

Forward Aegis Strategic Warning Airborne Control

The old radar systems are being replaced with the new pulse realtime Aegis systems...who needs a 737 when you can put a mach 2.5 plus airborne system on the deck???

Scooterman

Hmmm this could be interesting!

:cheers:  

nev

Should certainly reduce the transit time to patrol station!  :D

What colour will she be?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

Would this be Aegis as in "Aegis Class Cruisers" ?

There was a NATO Concorde radar bird at SMW 04 with the radar etc in an upper fusalage "canoe" fairing. Anyone remember that ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

cthulhu77

Yep!  The whole 3d realtime of the aegis radar system lends itself to the modern combined military...
 Am going to go with a three tone grey camouflage...boring but practical...most of the carving is in the engines and nacelles...then there is a lot of vacuforming to do!!!   Fun project...

greg

John Howling Mouse

Wha-----what's this?  I need more pics...

Coooool!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

more cutting and sanding....

John Howling Mouse

Hoo-hooooo, babyyyyyyyyyy!   :wub:   Keep it coming!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

Starting to add plastic to the rear engine nacelles...and vacc'd the aegis pontoon (you can see it just to the left...)

nev

I know I should be looking at the model but.........you hang bits of sprue from the wall????  :dum:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

yep...that way, I can't lose them...along with tape, rulers, triangles, etc...

Sisko

Pretty funky lookin!!!!!!!!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

cthulhu77

sanded down the initial layup of styrene for the bottom exhaust flukes...

oh, and here is a shot of my inside desk:

cthulhu77

onto the upper rear engine deck...lots of styrene to go, yet !

Hunter Gatherer

The project is just great - reminds me of someof those 'artists impressions' pushed out by Boeing and Lockheed in the late seventies of Hypothetical, Hypercruise Sensor Paltforms.

Now whilst the model is lookin superb.... I think we need to talk about the modeling desk....

How do you produce such good work in that wee tiny space ?

Ian