F-104/ F/A-18 Hybrid

Started by Eddie M., June 01, 2005, 04:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Quotelooking very cool Eddy, all of them. My favorite is the twin T tail from the first set of pictures but I would add a straight horizontal piece in between the vertical fins. I think (but that is my personal opinion) that the horizontal stabs in your second series are to small to make it look good.

I've been playing around with a F 104 conversion also. what about a delta winged one. not sure how it would turn out yet but definately something I'll be looking into.

:cheers:

Patrick
They do look small, but from the top, they look almost too big. Those are chopped down Hornet elevons. Still not sure about which one I'll use. Maybe be one of these versions will prompt someone to build one like it. That would be cool! B)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Captain Canada

I like the third one...with the single Phantom tail.

Cheers !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Eddie M.

Here at Eddie's House of Hybrids, nothing goes to waste. This is my attempt to please half the people half the time. :lol:
  Eddie

Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

I don't think I've ever asked this of anyone on this Forum before so this might be either really dumb or (hopefully) truly flattering but could you help me build my own copy of your hybrid concept below?

If you could please send me standard top/side/bottom/front/rear jpgs of your fantastic concept model below and advise what kits/parts I'd need to make up this configuration, I would consider it a huge favor.

If this is acceptable, please PM me and I'll send you my home e-mail address.

Would gladly give credit for the design to your name (would treat this like a custom What If kit).

I just think that bird is so...solid!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

The one with the Hornet nose and the tip tanks is awesome!  :wub:   Has a kind of Voodoo look to it  :tornado:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Eddie M.

QuoteI don't think I've ever asked this of anyone on this Forum before so this might be either really dumb or (hopefully) truly flattering but could you help me build my own copy of your hybrid concept below?

If you could please send me standard top/side/bottom/front/rear jpgs of your fantastic concept model below and advise what kits/parts I'd need to make up this configuration, I would consider it a huge favor.

If this is acceptable, please PM me and I'll send you my home e-mail address.

Would gladly give credit for the design to your name (would treat this like a custom What If kit).

I just think that bird is so...solid!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
JHM,
  Considering your awesome skills that I have seen here, it would be an honor to help you out. Since I don't know what a PM is, you send your e-mail to my e-mail and we'll do lunch. :lol:
  Eddie
P.S. After some thought, I'm gonna do ya even better. If you would like, I'll send you that model and you build it for me and keep it on permanent loan. One reason I want to do this is your interest in the model. Plus I can't see you having to buy all those kits.You'll do a better job, I'm sure. Let me know.
  Eddie
Look behind you!

nev

A PM is a Private Message, kinda like an email system within the forums.  I've you click on PM under one of JHMs posts it will bring up a new message box.  Make sure you've got your controls set to notify you via a pop up every time someone sends you a PM as well.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Yeah, that Voodoo-like one Nev was talking about is sweet ! looks like some kind of giant VTOL type....cool !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

P.S. After some thought, I'm gonna do ya even better. If you would like, I'll send you that model and you build it for me and keep it on permanent loan. One reason I want to do this is your interest in the model. Plus I can't see you having to buy all those kits.You'll do a better job, I'm sure. Let me know.
  Eddie
Thanks for your outstanding, generous offer, Eddie.  I would gladly take you up on using the actual kit as a basis to build another, but only as a temporary loan since I'd get more of a thrill seeing what your final model scheme looks like versus mine.

I'm pretty sure I already have all the kits needed, too (my wife just groaned at that).  

I'll send you another PM (Private Message) with my house address.  Check the "My Controls" at the top of your screen while you're on this forum.  You should now have at least "2 new messages" showing.  Click on that "2 new messages" link at the top and it will take you to the site's messaging system.

Thanks!

Barry.

Eddie M.

JHM,
 For the LEX, start at the beginning and use what you need and the dorsal portion was cut down to the top, right where it's widest, all from the same Hornet.
 Once you finish, yours will be one of a kind, because I plan on using the aft control surfaces for my second 104/18 hybrid. The first one is going to end up looking kinda like an X-15.(I hope) :P So.....when ya gonna start?  :lol: Sorry, just a little curious. Can't wait to see the start.
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Yes,Yes I know,I'll tell them... This model wanted to announced that John Howling Mouse was right it and deserved to have a T-tail like it's counterpart and I agree. :P Thanks JHM for your input. B) These are the basic designs for the F-104/ F/A-18 hybrids.
 Eddie

Look behind you!

elmayerle

Y'know, I think those LERX might just eliminate the blanking of the T-tail that causes deep stalls (as pilots of F-101's, F-104's, and Learjets are well aware).  It'd be interesting to actually see it tunnel-tested.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

QuoteY'know, I think those LERX might just eliminate the blanking of the T-tail that causes deep stalls (as pilots of F-101's, F-104's, and Learjets are well aware).  It'd be interesting to actually see it tunnel-tested.
As a lover of T-Tails, I've always been curious about that stalling aspect and why so many aircraft were built with T-Tails, including trainers such as the Tutor.

If T-Tails caused such difficulties, why do so many a/c incorporate them?

Ollie

Sometimes, as in civil jets, the tail is up there to clear the engines.

Other times, such as the Tutor, it's there to look pretty me thinks.

elmayerle

QuoteSometimes, as in civil jets, the tail is up there to clear the engines.

Other times, such as the Tutor, it's there to look pretty me thinks.
Well, yeah.  The original design for the Learjet didn't have a T-tail, but a cruciform one with the horizontal much like on the FFA P.16 it derives from, but Bill Lear had it redesigned to a T-tail for looks.

Hmm <sound of lightning striking>, I wonder what going the other way would do?  Say a F-101 with a horizontal located similarly to that of a F3H-1 or F-4?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin