Main Menu

UAV

Started by Eddie M., June 18, 2005, 11:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

I've been kinda occupied with the hurricane happenings, but I did manage to get a coat of another shade of black on the top side. This one is a mixture of black, blue and gray. The difference is subtle, but it works for me. :P It may look like crap right now, but the worm will turn. :) The nose is going to be another shade. I'm hoping to get the gear installed soon. As I envision it, it will compliment my Archangel III nicely.Hey, wouldn't that be cool to hook up a buddy store so it can carry the extra fuel for the F-61F. It does the the final refuel( since it would far too dangerous to bring a tanker so close to enemy air space) and then goes ahead for the search& destroy to clear a path for the incoming strike. See, you guys are rubbing off on me. B)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Wicked beastie.
So, just what would its performance capabilities be for its most common mission profiles?

Just how much more G's etc. could some a/c like this pull without having to be restricted by the limitations of a human pilot?

:o  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Hobbes

Without a pilot, you can increase the G-limit until you run into structural limitations. Current missiles like the Aster can maneuver at 45 G. For an aircraft of this size, the limit will be lower, or you'd end up with an aircraft with no range and no payload. 12 G, maybe 15 would be realistic, I think. You may need to redesign the engines, ISTR some jet engines would flex enough under G-loads that the blades would run into their shrouds.  

Eddie M.

QuoteWithout a pilot, you can increase the G-limit until you run into structural limitations. Current missiles like the Aster can maneuver at 45 G. For an aircraft of this size, the limit will be lower, or you'd end up with an aircraft with no range and no payload. 12 G, maybe 15 would be realistic, I think. You may need to redesign the engines, ISTR some jet engines would flex enough under G-loads that the blades would run into their shrouds.
Yeah! Just what Hobbes said.  :D  ;) I was going to say about 13 G's but I'm not too sure with the wings extended. Just enough to be able to preform the Wild Weasel and ACM mission, to be sure. :)
  Eddie  

Look behind you!

BlackOps

UAV
Eddie, ya gotta get a picture of that bad boy out in the daylight so we can see it better...I know this pic isn't doing it justice!  

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Eddie M.

QuoteEddie, ya gotta get a picture of that bad boy out in the daylight so we can see it better...I know this pic isn't doing it justice!  

Jeff G.
After taking it outside, I realized that the brush job is not going to cut it and now I'm going to try and sand out the real rough stuff and, yes, I'm going to use my A/B for the very first time. No way out this time,because I want to keep the color I have. Last look before it heads back into the hanger. ^_^
   Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

I can't see the brush marks in the pics but I know they will drive you nuts if you see them. Make sure you get your paint nice and thin, if it's to thick it will speckle coming out of your airbrush.  Much better to paint a few thin coats especially with a gloss paint.

60% paint  &  40% thinner works pretty well but experiment before shooting your UAV.

Also start and stop your spray before and after your target... sometimes your airbrush will spit when you first press the trigger. Also watch out for build up on the nozzle. and clean brush as soon as possible.

Airbrushing is 80% prep and clean-up and 20% painting...seems like a lot of hassle but when you get the hang of it the final results are well worth it.

Your UAV is simply wicked!!!

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

Looks positively evil, mysterious and menacing and everything else it should look to play the part.    :ph34r:

If you wet sand it with microgrit sanding sponges (like the ones up to 30000 grit that you can get from MicroMark.com ) you probably would not have to repaint, actually, depending on the level of gloss/matte you seek in the final product.

But, then again, it IS time for you to pull the Aztec out of the box and let her rip.
It's a very forgiving airbrush.

DON'T FORGET THE MASKING!!!!  (At least there's no canopy, eh?).

:)  -_-  

Ian the Kiwi Herder

So cool..... (Descriptive words failure so can't say more)

Fantastic work, Eddie, take a bow or two. :cheers:

I H-G
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Eddie M.

For those of you that have been following this one, I have not forgotten this thorn in my side :P The sanding is done as much as it's gonna get and I'm finally gonna bust out the airbrush. Here it is now.
     Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

UAV
I don't know I kinda like the "been through hell and back" look it is currently wearing  :P

Looks badass nomatter how you finish it!

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Ollie

It looks just sooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiil............

:wub:  :wub:  

NARSES2

Now that is a Bird of Prey

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Menacing and sinister..I LOVE it... :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

John Howling Mouse

Yep, I'd be tempted to leave it "as is."
There's no reason why UAV's wouldn't get all weathered in a genuine conflict, right?