Main Menu

SR-53

Started by Hobbes, June 26, 2005, 04:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

This is an Airfix kit of the Saunders-Roe SR-53. It was given to me assembled but not painted, and now I'm going to see if I can make a decent model out of it. What few panel lines there are, are veritable trenches, with the plastic on either side of the line all bunched up, so I've decided I'm better off without them. The pics show the model covered in filler. Next up: sanding. Lots of it :dum:

cthulhu77

break out the random orbital sander for that one !!!  LOL ...
 should be cool looking jet when you have worked your magic on it !

greg

John Howling Mouse

Aw, Hobbes, that T-Tail brings a tear to my eye...

Does anyone make a 1:48 of this overlooked plane?  Dynavector?

An ebay seller once sent me a bagged version of your Airfix kit for free as a throw-in for the item I had purchased.  Cannot even begin to get the fuselage halves together.  Yours looks quite good by comparison.

Good luck with the putty-sand-repeat cycle!  Kepp us posted.

;)

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Hobbes

I can't find any SR. 53 kits at either Hannants or lhshop.nl (which is the reason I got this assembled kit in the first place).
Does your include landing gear, or is wheels-up (as mine was done) the only option?  

Geoff_B

QuoteAw, Hobbes, that T-Tail brings a tear to my eye...

Does anyone make a 1:48 of this overlooked plane?  Dynavector?

An ebay seller once sent me a bagged version of your Airfix kit for free as a throw-in for the item I had purchased.  Cannot even begin to get the fuselage halves together.  Yours looks quite good by comparison.

Good luck with the putty-sand-repeat cycle!  Kepp us posted.

;)
SAMI has ARBA doing a 1/48 SR.53 for release late 05 or early 06

The Rat

I've got one of these up in the attic, so I'll be watching this with great interest!

Keep 'em coming.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI can't find any SR. 53 kits at either Hannants or lhshop.nl (which is the reason I got this assembled kit in the first place).
Does your include landing gear, or is wheels-up (as mine was done) the only option?
Not sure if it had gear or not.
I'll have to pull it out of the "warehouse."
I recall it being very basic, though.
And absolutely warped.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Spellbinder99

The kit had undercarriage in it. I don't recall any of that era Airfix kit that didn't. Whether it was a GOOD undercarriage, well that was entirely another discussion.

Cheers

Tony

Captain Canada

Cool !

make it Canadian, eh ?

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rallymodeller

The only SR-53 kit I have is that crappy Eastern European kit -- it was thrown in with one of the OEZ MiG-21's that I bought...
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Joe C-P

That looks like it would make for a nice jet seaplane, ala the USN's Sea Dart.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Julhelm

I'd cut off the wings and give it outrigger floats Campbell-style.
On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

Hobbes

QuoteCool !

make it Canadian, eh ?

:P
Nah, I think I'll do this one in real markings (overall white, RAF). The SR.53 wouldn't have been very useful as a fighter (very short range, no radar). It really was a research aircraft. The SR.177, a larger follow-on design with a much more powerful jet engine, would have been the operational variant.
I've got an SR.177 in the stash (Maintrack vacuform), that one will get a Wif paintjob (Dutch air force?).  

Hobbes

Almost finished:

(still to be done: decals, and the nose isn't quite right yet)

Mossie

Looks nice Hobbes!  If you can get it finished by the end of the day(!) I'd enter it into the Phoenix GB, I think working on a kit for over two years qualifys as 'procrastination of epic proportions'!!! :P  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.