[wip]Convair B-37

Started by Julhelm, June 27, 2005, 12:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julhelm

Since my present economy prohibits me from buying expensive plastic kits for my wiffing pleasure, here's a scaled down 4-prop B36 variant to replace the venerable B29 in pounding the Japanese since it's larger cousing has it's attention turned to germany:

Any ideas/suggestions welcome :)

On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

Tophe

Great! :wub:  (even if it is small-size, compared to the B-36...) :D
* Could you show us the B-36 basis with the same angle, to compare and appreciate all the changes? Removing 2 engines would be great but it seems the span is reduced also, and maybe the length. While the cockpit and fin are unchanged, not scaled down?
* These nice ideas could be applied to a reduced B-29 as well, as a very streamlined and powerful replacement for the B-25... Maybe I will draw the twins from both of them: reduced B-36Z and B-29Z. A view from above of this B-37 would help...
* Like you, I am more drawing than building (even if a Unicraft BMW TL-I// is on my workbench), but we are just like Boeing and Airbus staffs, building more virtual computer models than solid models, just to gather more ideas before turning the best to the wind channel... Could you tell us which software you use? Rhino 3D or Blender or else?
* JMNs will argue that in the Real World, the B-37 was less sympathetic and advanced. It was just a slightly modified Lockheed B-34 Ventura. I prefer yours...  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That actually looks right - so why am I thinking CARNARD ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

elmayerle

I suppose this is a stupid question, but, since the B-32 was a contemporary of the B-29, why not a design that combines the best of the B-36 and the B-32 for this role?  Say a fuselage using B-36 frames and such but with a wing combining the best features of both designs.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Any ideas/suggestions welcome :)
Looks pretty neat !

Now quit making excuses and build it !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteNow quit making excuses and build it !
I thought it was almost impossible at 1/72 without building a house for it, but the B-36 basis seems proposed in 1/144th :)  See http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HC1271

elmayerle

QuoteI suppose this is a stupid question, but, since the B-32 was a contemporary of the B-29, why not a design that combines the best of the B-36 and the B-32 for this role?  Say a fuselage using B-36 frames and such but with a wing combining the best features of both designs.
To illustrate what I'm suggesting, combine a B-36 cockpit, defensive systems, and at least one of the B-36's two "cargo bays" (don't laugh, that's the official drawing title for that area on the B-2) with this Liberator/Dominator derived airframe:

"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteMaybe I will draw the twin: reduced B-36Z
I did it, see at
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...120&#entry78637
Thanks!

Julhelm

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll be sure to look into it when I pick up this model again.

It's on hold as I'm busy skinning a few helicopters.
On the bench:

noxioux

Is that wings3d you modeled it in?

Julhelm

Nope, 3dsmax 7.

Here's a wtf-one I made a while back:

Unfortunately I'm lazy so I haven't gotten around to unwrapping this at all yet.
On the bench:

Scooterman

Looks like a cross between a Yak-141 and a Macross VF-11!

John Howling Mouse

Ahem, Julhelm, we've really got to talk.   <_<

Over here, where the others cannot hear...   B)
|
|
|
|
|
|

You, ah, got anymore of them there aircraft conceptuals in 3d?  :ph34r:

Do you build in plastic as well or prefer virtual?   Anyone ever build one of your ideas as a styrene scratchbuild/kitbash?

Shhh, don't look now but Eddie's coming over.  Just act natural.   Everything's casual...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Julhelm

QuoteYou, ah, got anymore of them there aircraft conceptuals in 3d?  :ph34r:
Yups

QuoteDo you build in plastic as well or prefer virtual?   Anyone ever build one of your ideas as a styrene scratchbuild/kitbash?
I used to build in plastic, and scratchbuild out of balsa/paper/old guitar strings, and the only styrene kitbash of one of these that I'm aware of is an old soviet F15/F16/F117 idea I made like 10 years or so ago.
On the bench:

Alvis 3.1

To illustrate what I'm suggesting, combine a B-36 cockpit, defensive systems, and at least one of the B-36's two "cargo bays" (don't laugh, that's the official drawing title for that area on the B-2) with this Liberator/Dominator derived airframe:

Ummm...what is this plane? I've got a thing for military converted or near converted airframes..and this looks very plausible..I assume it's Convair's Liberator derived airliner?

Alvis 3.1