Hornet / Mirage Hybrid #5

Started by Eddie M., July 01, 2005, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Yeah...never noticed how looooooooooong the Hornet's nose was before.

And, yet, very well suited for this kitbash concept!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

QuoteYeah...never noticed how looooooooooong the Hornet's nose was before.

And, yet, very well suited for this kitbash concept!
You just brought back a memory from my Navy days. Before I was in Crash&Salvage, I was a tractor driver. Some of the tractors didn't have huffers on the them. Because they were shorter, they were called Bobtails. If you were parking a Hornet, watch out! Since your eyes are glued to the yellowshirt, you can't see that big nose coming from your blind side and WHAM, right acrosss the brain bucket.  :lol:
   Eddie
Bobtails pulling the wire

Here's the nose clearance with the huffer. Not much room to play with.
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Finally, I have gotten to the point where I can quit fiddle farting with the body and say this is the final configuration. Now to the landing gear and beyond....
    Eddie

Look behind you!

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

It's alright I guess ;)

Looks great, sorta taken on that Sci-Fi kinda feel like any cutting edge new aircraft should.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Eddie M.

After looking at it for a while, I decided that that the fins on either side of the vertical stab were a bit distracting, so they're gone. ^_^ I'll save those for another project. :)
   Eddie
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

I like the revision better.

;)  

Ollie

Eddie M.

Thanks JHM and Ollie. Someone at FSM suggested canting the canards down a bit. What do y'all think?
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Jeffry Fontaine

The forward fuselage of the Hornet mated to the back end of the Mirage certainly makes for an interesting combination and with the removal of the forward wing fairings it gives it a very nice look indeed.  Actually had me wondering what mating a two seater Hornet to a Mirage IV to give it a new lease on life...
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Ollie

Canting the canards, eh?

Try it for the heck of it.  If it wasn't of those intakes, I'd put them further out on the nose too.

:wub:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteCanting the canards, eh?

Try it for the heck of it.  If it wasn't of those intakes, I'd put them further out on the nose too.

:wub:
Yep, what he said.   ;)  

Eddie M.

I've been doing a lot of filling and sanding lately. One change I did make was to add height to the vertical stab. The addition came from the B-52 vert. stab on my Old Dog project.  To me, it balances everthing out. I didn't cant the canards because it would have been too much of a design change and I am trying to move forward with this project. First round of puttying is done and one more to go.  :blink:  <_<  :)
   Eddie

Look behind you!

BlackOps

I don't know how big it really is but it "feels" huge. Very ominous looking.  It begs for a nice Star command type paintjob.

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

You should find out if anyone's doing a Captain Scarlet remake!