Hornet / Mirage Hybrid #5

Started by Eddie M., July 01, 2005, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Feel your pain, but that is going to be worth all of the grief...wow !

Richard/KeroJP4

Hi Eddie, hi all,

Your model is truly awe inspiring  :cheers:  X-cellent !!!!!

I love the birth of such a whif out of the loves of a french and US plane !

See what I got on the bench at the moment :

Mine looks wiser than yours.

Very good job indeed !!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Cheers,

Richard

Eddie M.

QuoteHi Eddie, hi all,

Your model is truly awe inspiring  :cheers:  X-cellent !!!!!

I love the birth of such a whif out of the loves of a french and US plane !

See what I got on the bench at the moment :

Mine looks wiser than yours.

Very good job indeed !!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Cheers,

Richard
Thank you. Your looks very cool and it has given me somrthing to shoot for as far as looks. I can start to see what it will wear in the end. :)  Welcome to the Forum of Ideas.
    Eddie
Look behind you!

Richard/KeroJP4

Hi !!!

Your mirage/hornet hybrid looks so futuristic it should sport a star wars era camo, kinda white & light grey, my humble opinion...  ;)

Mine wears an Egyptian robe, for Egypt uses F16 as well as Mirage 2000s, and my 1/48 whif is a mix of both model parts (Italeri F16A & Heller Mirage 2000N)

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of yours posted, for it really is a very nice whif to me ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

C ya !

Richard  

Eddie M.

QuoteHi !!!

Your mirage/hornet hybrid looks so futuristic it should sport a star wars era camo, kinda white & light grey, my humble opinion...  ;)

Mine wears an Egyptian robe, for Egypt uses F16 as well as Mirage 2000s, and my 1/48 whif is a mix of both model parts (Italeri F16A & Heller Mirage 2000N)

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of yours posted, for it really is a very nice whif to me ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

C ya !

Richard
Thanks! You Sir, have got me fired up to move forward with this project. I finished puttying and put the final touches on the landing gear. Paint is next. The main gear wheels are F-15E, as are the struts. I made the extension from scrape sprue. Brake line is JHM's idea of "beading wire". B) The nose strut is from the orginial 22yr old Mirage. The nose wheel are the main wheels of a 1:48 F-16.  I hope to try a very different paint scheme on this one. Will be doing experiments this weekend. If they come out, I'll put it up. :)
     Eddie

Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Okay, primer is on and I think I've found a wing tip configuration that I'm finally happy with( sort of...), F-104 wing tanks. Opinions wanted. Winglets or wing tanks. It's a 50/50 right now for me.. Moving forward, to where, no one knows..... :P
   Eddie

Look behind you!

SinUnNombre

Tip tanks! Tip tanks! Tip tanks! I think that should be clear enough....

Jon

elmayerle

I'd go for the winglets myself as you've got plenty of underwing space for drop tanks and tip tanks are a bit more difficult to get rid of.

If neither winglets or tip tnaks appeals, wing-tip Sidewinder rails (or a double rail using, say, the Y-rack from the Crusader)  or, if you're feeling real creative, tip tanks with top and bottom Sidewinder rails would be an approach.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

John Howling Mouse

IMHO, I'd say it depends on which look you're ultimately going for.

To me, the tip-tanks are very "Gerry Anderson," (or, as I think I may have commented earlier: Captain Scarlet/Angel Interceptor).

To me, the wing-tips sans tip-tanks look more plausible for "real life."

I'd have a tough time deciding too.  At any rate, sure looks cool all blended in with the primer!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Hmmmmmn, wingtip tanks look retro, winglets look mod...guess it depends on what kind of paint and markings you want to use. Either way it's going to rock!

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Tophe

Quotewingtip tanks look retro, it's going to rock!
with round wingtip tanks, it's even going to rock and roll... ^_^  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Eddie M.

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna go with the winglets to give a bit of a hi tech look. It give the excuse of extending the life of those two airframes.
Here's a peek at the paint scheme. Some of you will instantly realize how I did it, others may not. Hint: Martha Stewart would be proud. :P
   Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Master of the sponge!    :P

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

John Howling Mouse

Eddie, please (PLEASE!) explain in detail exactly how you got that look.

I can see this useful for about a zillion different things from aged aircraft to naval items and spaceships.

What actual size is the sample painted piece above?

Wow...mind is spinning now!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

QuoteEddie, please (PLEASE!) explain in detail exactly how you got that look.

I can see this useful for about a zillion different things from aged aircraft to naval items and spaceships.

What actual size is the sample painted piece above?

Wow...mind is spinning now!
If I'm involved, it's very simple. :P The model is about 7 inches long. It's the left over body of the KC-135.  I found an old kitchen sponge and cut small squares out of it, big enough to have a firm grasp when holding it. I used the cross section of the sponge because it has the crisp definition for the paint. Got myself a piece of foil and spread paint out thinly and evenly. As in dry brushing, blot the sponge until you get the amount of paint on the sponge you'd like to work with. Also, I started with a the lightest color first. I started with a gray base coat already on the subject. When applying, either dab it or roll it on, but don't go too fast and smudge it. That will ruin the effect. The good thing is it drys very fast. I put a dull coat on this in less than an hour after I applied the paint. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I'd love to see this applied to one of your works. B)
  Eddie
Look behind you!