Main Menu

YF-16A

Started by Tophe, July 01, 2005, 11:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

In my cave, I have found a long-forgotten model: the 1/48 Monogram YF-16 I have bought and built and painted in 1978. First I painted it as the genuine prototype, as commanded by written instructions, then... I imagined (and painted) a more pleasant camo: sand and sky, and I put the remaining decals from my Matchbox F-86 - 1/72, yes, but tiny roundels were appearing in those years as a way to visual stealthing... while with yellow bright snakes, this semmed contradictory <_< . Well, no problem, for the young what-ifer I was. :D

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

That's not that far off from the two-tone blue scheme the second one flew in.  If one had been used to test air-to-ground capabilities, that scheme would fit well.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

NARSES2

That's what I thoght Evan. I've still got the Hasegawa box - use it for old transfers
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

QuoteThat's not that far off from the two-tone blue scheme the second one flew in.
Thanks to Google, I have found it. Yes, memories of so far away may be wrong, this model maybe was not as imaginative as I thought, just replacing the very light grey/blue by sand beige, and adding snakes of Arizona National Guard to a prototype...

John Howling Mouse

Monsieur X-Toff, I would not worry about whether or not it was "correct" or not, then or now: "Cool is cool and your model is cool."

Worry about nothing else.

Hope we can collectively persuade your return to plastic modeling.
I believe the modeling "in the round" will inspire your modeling in 2d and vice versa, mon ami!

:wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Quoteyour model is cool
Worry about nothing else.
Hope we can collectively persuade your return to plastic modeling. I believe the modeling "in the round" will inspire your modeling in 2d and vice versa, mon ami! :wub:
Thanks dear friend ;)
Yes, I have actually started my first model for 10 years, presented on the twin-tail forum. And there are so many ideas here around, I have dozens of projects.
Apart of many ideas about shapes, that I have started to imagine on computer, some are desicive modeller's lessons that brought me back completely to this world:
- chosing 1/144th rather than 1/72nd to invent shapes that I adore while neglecting details that do not interest me (useless things like landing gears and cockpits, no need...). I am crazy, maybe ^_^ , but I am happy to find a balance, and yor help has been great...
- replacing clear glassware by black paint and thus use putty freely to create new canopy/fuselage junction. I am ashamed I have not thought of it by myself.
Well, I am back, completely - slowly, though, with drying and sand-paper erasing...
However, I am badly lacking skills like yours, even one tenth of yours would be wonderful. I am not jealous, just admiring and dreaming, thanks to share your models' pictures, so welcome...

Tophe

Quote- replacing clear glassware by black paint and thus use putty freely to create new canopy/fuselage junction. I am ashamed I have not thought of it by myself.
I had done it once by myself, on a X-3 Stiletto. I did not like her eye, so I changed her shape (for the left eye, on the side to be seen, beautiful... till my wife put the model on the lower shelf, showing both eyes all at once). Poor bird.

Alvis 3.1

Tophe..I like the F-16 of yours....but I LOVE the new windows on the X-3!!!!!!

Nice....very very very very very nice...aesthetically pleasing!

Alvis 3.1

Leigh

However, I am badly lacking skills like yours, even one tenth of yours would be wonderful. I am not jealous, just admiring and dreaming, thanks to share your models' pictures, so welcome...
Well quit admiring and dreaming and start doing! Not much more than a year ago I'd not built a model in years and can honestly say I'd never built a decent one, and by that I mean one that I was happy with and proud enough to share with others. My first ever attempt at any kind of scratchbuild was the F-16 twin tail, before that a lost or broken part would doom the kit into the trash, because I never believed I could possibly build something myself.
But what I've learned is it's not that hard, the hardest part is getting past the idea that I "can't" do it. With the amazing amount of reference on "how to" and the support of great guys like those here anything is possible. All you need is some patience and creativity and if yer hanging around here that must be something you possess.
I'm not  setting myself up as a master modelbuilder, I still really struggle with washes and delicate weathering but looking at Barry and Alvis' work and I think I should be able to build something about half as good as that and give it a go. Nothing replaces experience, and that is the greatest tool in my inventory.
So Tophe get to it ,I know you can build great things 'cos that F-16 looks wicked, you just gotta do it.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Tophe

Thanks a lot. With this explained way, with the support of King JHM and Saint Alvis, I can try, I will, I AM trying, yes! The resin Unicraft reverted asymmetrical BMW TL-I// is on its way...

The Rat

I've always liked the windows on the X-3, so different from the norm.

But yours are wicked cool!!!  :wub:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Tophe

Thanks...
Your words gave me an idea: what if we install X-3-like windows on another plane? :D
(of course, a front wind-screen would disturb, but what-if a F-102 or F-106...? :blink: )

nev

Given what you've done in the past model wise (as these photos show), I'm glad you're getting back into building Tophe  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Tophe

QuoteGiven what you've done in the past model wise (as these photos show), I'm glad you're getting back into building Tophe  B)
New digital camera and blurred picture was the secret of the acceptable aspect above...
See this awful detail on my YF-16 :

My new model, TL-I//, the first since the 1990s, is almost finished, but... I would like to paint the metal part in the canopy ("montant" in French, "upright" in English?), and I have never been good at that.
Well, first I just used a brush, trying to move as straight as possible, and hoping that no piece of hair would change direction or let a drop run out of the line... This gave bad results as on this YF-16. Then I asked my model-seller (a very very nice Vietnamese young man, nick-named Fifi) how to improve, and he explained me that he was using a covering liquid that was protecting clear parts after drying, not to be painted on, and when the paint is dry, just remove that film – well, the problem appeared to be exactly the same for my unskilful hands: putting this liquid on with a brush, I just tried to move as straight as possible, hoping no piece of hair... Then I invented my way: putting adhesive tape on the clear parts, pressing it all along, then painting with paint almost not-liquid (bottom part of the can, moved up with a piece of plastic), it works for several models. But now that I have met so many modellers, doing so much wonderful things, could you reveal me how you do?
BUT, I must mention that my problem is not saving clear aspect of the canopy (as I paint canopies black now), it is just to draw a clean straight line on a curved canopy (BMW TL-III of Unicraft Models)... Before trying by my old way, would you have advice to do better?

Captain Canada

Wow, Tophe.....I love your first F-16 ! I recognoze those decals from my spares pile, and I actually used them on an old Matchbox Corasair ! The model was done with an extra-long engine, in a silmilar sand camo. If only I could find it, or a pic !
<_<

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?