G

Fairey Thunderbolt F-1(?)

Started by Geoff_B, July 06, 2005, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Just assembling another scratch built /kit bash Fairey Delta III and have reached the point of details and colour scheme. How should i proceed ? - i already have a NMF in 92 Sqdn markings and thought perhaps i should do this one as a later fit and colour scheme.

The question is which ?
  • NMF as per the cover of BSP: Fighters
  • Dark Grey/Dark Green Camo over Light Aircraft Grey (late 60's - full colour roundels)
  • Dark Grey/Dark Green Cammo over Light Grey (mid 70's - tactical roundels
  • Air Defence Greys & Low Vis roundels(>1979)
The scheme will dictate what sort of Pylons, Weapon load and decals i will need to consider so i thought i would check out what you guys think (Any mention of Maple leaf will result in automatic deletion  :o  you guys can much about with the Arrow instead  ;) )

Cheers

Thorvic B)  

Captain Canada

Aw c'mon ! Automatic deletion ?

:angry:

Anyways, that 'thing' wouldn't have stod a chance against the mighty Arrow, so no worries there !

:P

As for your query, I think the BSP cover scheme would be brilliant, and second choice would be the camo job, with the 60s roundels first, and then the 70s second. It's kind of a tought draw, as since you've already done one in n/m. Also, a bird that big would look rather tasty with a load of iron strapped under her.

any rate, looking forward to seeing the finnished product !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

My two-pennarth... The tactical greys, but with either the 56Sqn sharks teeth and red fin, or the 111Sqn black/yellow lightning zaps the Tornado F3's wore in the early nineties.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

John Howling Mouse

Something about it just says "Swedish" splinter camo theme to me!

You know: that or Maple Leaf Roundels!

<<<zap: auto deletion!>>>
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

elmayerle

QuoteSomething about it just says "Swedish" splinter camo theme to me!

You know: that or Maple Leaf Roundels!

<<<zap: auto deletion!>>>
*chuckle* Why not do both?  Perhaps for a UK-based Canadian squadron doing an exchange visit to Sweden?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

Mighty Appealing Pal. Love Everything. Like Every Aircraft Fairey Rolled Out. Use Nice Decals, Everything Looks Super!

(I think I got away with it Captain...)  :ph34r:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

I'd go for the AD Greys Geoff - think it would suit the bird

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Before I read your proviso I was gunna suggest the Canuck Voodoo scheme with teh grey and the lightning stripe...
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

Hmmn Me thinks there is a slight taknig of the Piss here !!!! &lt;_&lt; as what do 5 sqdn have as their symbol ? :angry:  - Anyway Martins done that one for the display version, this 2nd one or mine will be 145 Sqdn which became the first Thunder squadron in 1966 following being initially used as a Lightning OCU shadow sqdn.

Now ADV greys - Lightning or Toom style ?

Red Hebe as is ? or would we have improved them (revised fins, pointed nose etc) or even replaced them with something like the AIM-54 ?. I think i'll try out some of the weapon load variations to see whats suitable.

Cheers

G B)  

elmayerle

Heh, "Reach out and touch someone" - Replace Red Hebe with Bendix Eagles - modelled by adding booster stages to AIM-54's (close enough, anyway).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

lancer

QuoteAw c'mon ! Automatic deletion ?

:angry:

Anyways, that 'thing' wouldn't have stod a chance against the mighty Arrow, so no worries there !

:P

Them's fightin' word Toadman..... :P  :ph34r:  :P  :ph34r:  :P

Besides EVERYONE knows that you only put maple leaves on targets..... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lancer

I like the idea of air defence greys, but I positively HATE low viz roundels. They look wierd! How about smaller full colour blue/red tactical ones??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mike Wren

Gary

Getting back into modeling

Patrick H

AD grey with low vis roundels but to add a splash of color a special painted tail for some anniversary or showbird? The size of the tail is big enough for it.

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air