Westland SingleWind

Started by Tophe, July 06, 2005, 11:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Without twin-tails, I am building a Bv 141 (asymmetric) speedy opponent.
Explanation: a free nose is perfect for useful devices (I will remove the guns and speak of a radar) while a pusher-propeller is dangerous for baling out and 2 engines are expensive. The solution is a single-engined plane with port engine and starboard fuselage, simply...
The model is started, at least, with one engine removed and the free wing sanded...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Go Tophe ! That I can't wait to see

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gary

Awesome dude, you rock! I love the fact that you stick to a theme with these things and you are so proficiant at conceptualizing the ideas.  
Getting back into modeling

Patrick H

Great idea, definately an aircraft with a twist  :P

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

nev

Go Tophe!!

You're already back into the swing of modelling, starting a new kit before you've finished your projects already in-progress  :D  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

noxioux

Killer idea.  The name is good, too.

I wonder how it would look in camo with some nice D-day stripes.

Also, how would the assymetrical layout affect the layout/capacity for external stores?  What is she going to carry?

Captain Canada

You're already back into the swing of modelling, starting a new kit before you've finished your projects already in-progress  :D
You hit the nail right on the head there, nevster !

:lol:

Great stuff, Tophe ! Very happy to see you're 'back in the saddle' again !

Keep the in-progress pics coming please.

:wub:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteKiller idea..
I wonder how it would look in camo with some nice D-day stripes.
Also, how would the assymetrical layout affect the layout/capacity for external stores?  What is she going to carry?
QuoteKeep the in-progress pics coming please. :wub:
Here is the last picture of the model close to birth... As I will not have the camera anymore for a few weeks, I will then just show the final result, someday...
Sorry, the colours will be plain sky blue (or pink) with a black canopy, as a tender bird with a big eye, carrying dreams. I would have even removed the blades if this was not the weirdest trace of asymmetry here. Of course, you will be allowed to photoshop my forthcoming picture into a D-Day warplane with dreadful loads, I will personally photoshoped it into a Siamese-twin-bird. But I feel thick today, and I don't like to think of killing: with the religion war coming, I do not volunteer... Don't tell me it is not a religion war, I would explain why it is and share with my Canada/USA/Australia friends the pain I feel. No need...

John Howling Mouse

Your current "Rainbow" has me on the edge of my seat, mon ami (that's a good thing; means I watch your build with great anticipation!).

It is very exciting to see you working on styrene again----Go Tophe Go!!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Thanks for your support, JHM Master... The result may be childish but I need to share this modelling smile of yours that helps living.
Thanks again.

Tophe

After finishing my TL-III, priority was to the SingleWind. A lot remained to do, and after painting the canopy (black, my way), I put it on the engine (below), as a joke and... nice! Oh, maybe I should have let the second engine pod, removing the blades to have a nice lateral nose, addition to the central one, while keeping a true engine/propeller pod on the other side... Would I buy another Whirlwind to make it? I have so many kits waiting, too bad... Or, I could draw several combinations, building only one... Or, I could have on the same pod a cockpit and an engine! With my black canopy, nobody (almost) will notice there is not room enough below... Anyway, this a model object, not an airplane machine: no cockpit nor engine, but a canopy and blades, simply, imagination filling the holes... I may do the combination batch with twin-engine P-51W Mustangs.

To justify this layout, I must explain: it was for a night fighter version: no need of 2 engines, but need of a giant free room to hold this mysterious secret device called airborne radar. (After knowing the actual dimensions, this weird asymmetric project was cancelled)

Captain Canada

Wow, is that ever starting to look neat, Tophe !

Love the idea of the canopy there.....maked me think of building a wee single podded whirlwind type twin boom thingy !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quotemaked me think of building a wee single podded whirlwind type twin boom thingy ! :wub:
QuoteBelow, the wonderful Twin-boom Whirlwind in the Modelkraft 2005 topic of MartinH's great gallery http://groups.msn.com/TheWhatifandoddballm...ge/shoebox.msnw (go and enjoy! Thanking Martin...)
Don't you remember Martin H made a great one (see in the Twin-tail forum, Twin-Whirlwind topic), how your one would be different? Tell us, all ideas are welcome. :) single-engined?

John Howling Mouse

Hey, Tophe-----have you been holding out on us?

For a guy who says he's only now getting back into modeling, that looks pretty darn "polished" (well-finished), especially for a kitbash.

You mentioned the final paint scheme will be blue (or pink).  Would you consider gloss white with some rainbow highlights?

I could send you some multi-color-striped-style decals from 1960's USN schemes if you'd like to pursue that idea.

Loving it so far!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Tophe

Quotethat looks pretty darn "polished" (well-finished)
You mentioned the final paint scheme will be blue (or pink). Would you consider gloss white with some rainbow highlights?
I could send you some multi-color-striped-style decals from 1960's USN schemes if you'd like to pursue that idea.
I swear I had not modelled at all (alas) in the window 1997-2004. And I don't remember exactly for the years 1993-1997, I think I have not started a single new one, just failing to finish the old ones.
For the colours, what you say is interesting as my wife prefers the bright colourful pictures you all post than the mild quiet sky-like of my way... But I have no white paint from my old boxes, this may be for the next model, late in 2005... I have scheduled to contact a French model shop soon to order some more putty, and paint will be on the list.