The Wimsy in-progress

Started by The Rat, July 08, 2005, 07:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Since everyone has been clamoring (Well, Gary asked because he was confused. But he clamored, trust me!) for info on the Wimsy, here's a few in progress pics.

The first one gives you an idea of how small this is, 1/170th scale actually:

This is a closer view of the interior so far, complete with a bar. I probably won't go to the trouble of making all the seats, just the two here so that they can be seen through the open door that I'm retro-fitting into the side. The original cockpit was simply a flush deck with a pilot's head attached, and what you see now is as much as I'm going to bother with in this size:

Here's what I used for the seats and the bar, those plastic thingies that you get on bread bags, at least here in Canada. The plastic is soft and easy to cut, glues easily with regular polystyrene cement, and paints well. I think I'll be using these in a lot of scratch building, they're free and easy to get. The red lines on the bottom show how I got a side section, on the top how I cut it and then bent, after scoring, on the dotted line to make the back and bum-holder:

And here's the almost finished article ready for smoothing and painting:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rallymodeller

That's pretty cool! Always liked the Destroyer/Skywarrior.
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Captain Canada

Beauty idea with the bread ties, rat !

I usually jsut break 'em in half, and flick them at the kids ! They fit so nicely over your fingertip............kinda dangerous, tho, as the've rather sharp edges.

And Rally, I've got an old Monogram RB-66A if you want to swap for something.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Rat

QuoteThat's pretty cool! Always liked the Destroyer/Skywarrior.
Thanks, and yes, you're already in the story. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to prevent Toad and kurly from draining all the beer before we reach our destination.  <_<  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

John Howling Mouse

Who would have thought to use breadbag tie-thingeys for seats?  Clever!

Don't know how you can work at this scale but it's looking promising, Monsieur Rat.

Speaking of "scale,"  gimme my "Antiderapant" ruler back!  (remember this one from another thread, Todd?)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

hehehe....yeah, I remember that one, Baz !

Looks like you're not the only one 'suffering' !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

cthulhu77

This should be interesting to see...your fingers are waaaaaaay steadier than mine, I think !  Also dig the bread tie bit...thanks!

greg

Leigh

You sure those aren't  fake bread bag ties and ruler? Or some photo shop jobbie? Wouldn't be the first person on here to do really cool work then use some trick to make us think it's a much smaller scale.
No-one scratchbuilds such great seats that small.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

nev

1/170???  :o  :o

How are you gunna scratchbuild all Todds empties in that scale?  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

elmayerle

Out of curiosity, going to do civil or military markings.  If military, the name of the aircraft cries out for "Peter" to be somewhere in the pilot's name. :D

Or am I the only one here who enjoys Dorothy Sayers?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

Three answers to three questions:

Leigh
QuoteYou sure those aren't fake bread bag ties and ruler? Or some photo shop jobbie?

Thanks, they don't look so good close up, but they're passable in a photo. And using those bread bag ties makes the job easier, that stuff is just so good to work with. Pick up some and mess around.

nev
QuoteHow are you gunna scratchbuild all Todds empties in that scale?

He can bloody well clean up after himself or has to empty the head when we land!

elmayerle
QuoteOut of curiosity, going to do civil or military markings. If military, the name of the aircraft cries out for "Peter" to be somewhere in the pilot's name.

If I'm up to it I was going to do a giant Canadian flag design, with the maple leaf over the fuselage at the wing join and the red bars beginning somewhere out around the engines. I was also going to skew it a bit rather than have it straight front to back.

And, no, I don't get the Sayers reference. My ex-wife might, but I'm not wearing my cup so I can't ask her.  :huh:  

elmayerle

Dorothy Sayers' best known character is Lord Peter Whimsey.  Several years back there were excellent television versions of a number of the novels done in Britain and rebroadcast over here by PBS; a most excellent series to enjoy.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

The Rat

QuoteDorothy Sayers' best known character is Lord Peter Whimsey.
Ah yes, it all comes back to me now. Everyone in the world has heard of the character, I just couldn't remember who wrote about him. Yes, Lord Peter was written into the back story at the very beginning, but he sure isn't the pilot!