USCG MH-72B Interdictor

Started by anthonyp, July 17, 2005, 07:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Here's the first in the new batch of finished models.  

This is a USCG MH-72B Interdictor multimission helicopter.  It's used primarily for rapid drug and smuggler interdiction where the regular machine-gun armed HH-65's and MH-68's aren't enough.  The Interdictor can be armed with the same anti-armor weaponary as it's army cousin, but it can also be fitted with raft pods or other rescue equipment if weapons aren't needed.

MH-72B's are primarily stationed on the USCG's three helicopter cutters.  The two smaller carriers, the USCGC Arrestor and USCGC Prosecutor, are stationed in the Carribean and are there primarily to interdict the more determined smugglers.  These two cutters are actually modified USN Sea Control Ships, built specifically for the USCG.   The flight decks of these ships are usually crowded with a mix of HH-60J's, HV-22J's, HH-65C's,  MH-68A's,  MH-64J's and MH-72B's.

The third helicopter cutter is stationed in Hawaii, and is used to patrol the waters between Hawaii and the West Coast.  This ship, the USCGC Reliant, is a a modified Wasp class LHD.  The integral boat well comes in handy for launching Prosecutor, Interdictor, and Interceptor small boats.  The large flight deck allows for the same mix of aircraft to be carried, just more of them.

The MH-72B can also be operated off of large endurance cutters, though rarely does so.  Some examples are also stationed at CGAS Key West and CGAS Miami.

The below example is recently returned to CGAS Key West from the USN Naval Weapons Test Center.  It still hasn't been repainted with the unit's markings, and still carry's its USN NWTC badge.  It's shown ready for a multi-mission flight, with a quad of Hellfires on its port wing to stop aggressive boats, as well as a rescue float on its starboard wing to rescue and hold the aggressors after it's blown up the offending boat.

This is one of three models left over after the late winter/early spring modelling belch, and the first to get completed.  It's a 1/72 Italeri Mongoose attack helo that just screamed "I'm a COASTIE!!!"  Thanks again to Cap'n Canada for the decals!  I armed it with a quad of Hellfires from an old Testors AH-64D and I modified some sort of Soviet bomb to be the the raft pod.

I originally got the idea for this thing from a pic of two scale RC ships that were USCG craft.  One was a modified Hamilton Class cutter with an HH-65 on the helo deck.  The other was a WiF catamarran with a USCG AH-64 on the fantail (the boat actually looks like a heavily modified hydroplane).  I've got an Airfix AH-64 currently under construction that will eventually be the Mongoose's big brother.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

anthonyp

Final view.  All-in-all, I am really pleased with how this turned out.

anthonyp

Here's the pic with the RC ships.  I have no idea where I got this from, only that I downloaded it about two years ago.

rallymodeller

Oh, that's sweet, dude! It looks awesome in those colours!
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Tophe

I have smiled seeing a 'different' USCG helicopter, then I wondered: is this H-72 a special H-64? What is the basis of it? And what is a H-72 for JMNs?
I asked Google and the only answer was: Sikorsky H-34... :huh:  And what is a H-34? An old ugly one :(
I prefer yours... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Beauty !

Lokks really nice in those colours. Love the pods hanging on her as well, really sets it off.

The ships are way cool as well, but come on, look at that water ! It's way off-scale !

Amateurs........

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

AeroplaneDriver

Nice!  I love seeing a helo gunship in something other than olive drab!
That, sir, is about as far from OD as you can get. :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Stands out in those colours - looks good

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

WOW!! She looks beautiful. You've done a damm fine job there
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Lord Darth Beavis

Those Coast Guard Cutters are the product of Jay "Cozmo" Curtis, formerly of Starship Modeler forums fame.  These days Jay can be found at the 2500th scale forums.   B)  
3 Time National Champions: 1958, 2003, 2007

2 BCS Championships: 2003, 2007

How many BCS trophies in your trophy room, USC?

Geaux Tigers!

Sisko

Love to see something with a totaly different paint scheme.

Looks great!!!!!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

anthonyp

Thanks for the compliments, guys!  This thing was a blast to paint.

Thanks for the info Beavis!  

markm70

Great concept!  super job. :)  

Scooterman

Oh c'mon guys we SOOOOO need to have a CG build!