Kamov Ka-239 "Haggard"

Started by John Howling Mouse, July 23, 2005, 08:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

Quoteb. I instinctively feel that odd numbers are less attractive than even ones (how's that for a mathematical complex?  Weird thing is: so does my wife-----are we the only ones who've ever chosen a preference over number types????).
The weird thing is that Chefs say the opposite- for a plate to be attractive you must use odd numbers......

Odd, huh? :wacko:  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Tophe

QuoteThat single boom reminds
Oh... :(
QuoteThis baby will end up with twin booms
Sigh of relief :lol:
And after "the Bermuda Triangle Mystery: Solved" - "the Ka-239 code Mystery: Solved". Great! :)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

John Howling Mouse

QuoteInstead of "Haggard," NATO Intel had a few other suggestions for such a unique Helo:

1)  Ka-239 "Handsome" (some Intel guy is sick in the head, and apparently blind)
2)  Ka-239 "Hideous" (another intel guy is too blunt for his own good)
3)  Ka-239 "Hat Rack" (yet another intel guy who had a bizarre sense of logic and got ahold of a Thesaurus when someone questioned whether "Haggard" completely fit.  "Haggard" won over this one after the intel guy was chased into a locker by the rest of the intel crew who was tired of his endless use of that damned thesaurus!  What?  You try listening day after day to a maniac with a sense of humor that made sense only to him!  He's lucky we only chased him into that locker and kept him there for a week...)
4)  Ka-239 "Hooooo, boy" (as in "Hoooo, boy, that's one ugly chopper!"  The intel guy was from the Southern US and didn't quite grasp the way things were code-named by NATO)
5)  Ka-239 "Holy...!" (first reaction of the every intel guy who saw it.  The second part of the two word phrase rhymed with "spit," but no one wanted to print that in NATO recognition manuals.)
Might have to use some of that in my backstory!!   :)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Update.  All sorts of parts have been cut and chopped today.
Fuselage lengthening can be seen in this pic as well as the reduced former rotor housing fin-thingeys...

Will build up a better (and longer) interior from scratch as I can't afford the Cobra aftermarket kit!

I was planning to paint the expansive glass in the aft clamshell doors to leave only narrow slots for windows.  Thought the big wide glass would be like a magnet for all sorts of small arms fire.  There are lots of horror stories of pilots getting hit in Viet Nam with the big wide windscreens on Hueys, etc.  But now I'm not sure.  Since I think having all that clear perspex right there would really piss off any troops who are stuck in the cabin as it makes them sitting ducks, I might just keep it wide open glass like that.  One more reason to despise the World's Ugliest Helicopter, I suppose.

:wacko:

John Howling Mouse

Now that I have multiple kits, I can finally turn the two-bladed rotor sets into a stacked pair of three-bladed rotor sets.

I just wanted you to know that...   :mellow:  

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Mock-up time for basic fuselage.  You can see my little cardboard template for the extended cabin floor in the aft pics.  I'll make that out of some ribbed sheet plastic.

Only problem so far: it ain't near ugly enough.
Hoping the inverted twin booms, outrageous ordnance, oversized landing gear struts/wheels, and unpleasant collection of scratchbuilt tail fins will help.

I have a twisted boast to live up to: "World's Ugliest Helicopter"!!!!   :D

dragon

Perhaps your problem is that you have no "texture".  What happens if you choose to put some corrugated panels on the helo?  Some smooth some corrugated.  Star Trek "aztec" pattern perhaps for the placement of these panels?  It might get uglier when you start to hang stuff from the fuselage and make some antennae farms on it.
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Leigh

Well hows about one of those wacky Nimrod noses, over the top Fairey style greenhouse glazing and stick an English weather girl in the cockpit.
Ugly enough for ya?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

We have a new contender in the "ugly" category:

Using the leftover bits from the cut kits, I will simultaneously make an ugly little brother as a kind of Cayuse equivalent.  Maybe a small utility or observation role?  Or a couple of rotary mini-guns on small winglets?  I don't know.  It will have a single, simplified two-blade rotor using the leftover blades.

Ka-233; NATO Codename: "HURL" (yes, as in "hurl your cookies"  which, for the benefit of our multi-linguistic friends, is slang for "vomit")

John Howling Mouse

Another shot.

And all good ideas to enhance the ugly factor: thanks guys.  I was going to put some ribs on the Haggard a la Westland's ugly Wasp.  

I think the landing gear and tail fins are really going to put them both over the edge in the end, too.  And once all the lumps, bumps and scabs are in place, I think I can still win the "ugly" competition.

Tophe

QuoteKa-233; NATO Codename: "HURL" (yes, as in "hurl your cookies"  which, for the benefit of our multi-linguistic friends, is slang for "vomit"), so wonderful, with even twin-booms on each rotor blade...
Thanks for the translation!
The models are not finished yet, but I guess I will be unable to hurl your Hurl, just able to love her... :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Looking good, Baz !

It's wicked to see you start with a basic kit and turn it into an awesome model........even if it is the ugliest one around !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!  SUCH UGLINESS!!!!  MY EYES!!!!!  I'M BLIND!!!!  AND NOW THERE'S TWO!!!  IT'S BREEDING!!!!  AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Keep up the good work!   :lol:

Heh, "HURL," I like that.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

dragon

Remember, too ugly and you get: The

Factor!