Kamov Ka-239 "Haggard"

Started by John Howling Mouse, July 23, 2005, 08:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

The surfboard thing is the pod for the floatation bags and the theory is that when you ditch in the water they pop open so the bags can inflate.
ps Theres nothing wrong with the RR Nimbus engine, the Westland Wasp or the Scout so there  :party:  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D
pps they have a wonderful sound to them, once heard never forgoten
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

John Howling Mouse

Thanks for the explanation.  Nah, don't get me wrong.  I *love* how ugly this thing looks.  That's what it inspired me to try to do something a little bit similar but try to go even uglier.  It's like every critical component was some kind of last-minute add-on, not part of a pre-planned, integrated whole.

"Edward, dear chap," one engineer says to the other, "I do believe we forgot something in the blueprints."

"What would that be, Winston?"

"Ah, an engine would be most beneficial," answers Winston.

"Right-O.  We can put that, ah, right up here.  Just chop out a bit of fuselage and there you are: aircooled, no less."

"Yes, quite," Winston says, but they both know something else is still missing.

"LANDING GEAR!" they blurt out in unison.

"Well, crikey.  We'll have to put some wheels somewhere.  Here, just bolt on these shopping cart wheels to the fuselage.  Any old place will do," Edward suggests.

"Splendid."

And I'm trying to capture that same hodge-podge look with my own helo but it's actually coming together too smoothly.  Here are some painted up parts and the re-cut fuselage quarters are now together.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

QuoteFor the Nevensky BT-101 "exposed" engines
:D

BTW, airliners.net have a very strict copyright policy regarding hotlinking photos.  You might want to edit that post and just put the link in.

In other news, this thing is looking AWESOME!!!

What colour did you use for the interior?  That Russian blue is a nasty colour to find.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Aircav

The Scout and the Wasp was a development of the Skeeter, all they did was strech the fuselage to a five seater and throw away the piston engine and fitted a turbine which originally it was going to be covered but Westland just never got around to it, British aircraft design, don't you just love it  ;)  :o  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

John Howling Mouse

QuoteFor the Nevensky BT-101 "exposed" engines
:D

BTW, airliners.net have a very strict copyright policy regarding hotlinking photos.  You might want to edit that post and just put the link in.

In other news, this thing is looking AWESOME!!!

What colour did you use for the interior?  That Russian blue is a nasty colour to find.
Yeah, if you actually hotlink "their" image, it will disappear a day later.  This is actually a reload of the original image.
I figured, as long as I leave the copyright on the unedited image...?

I used my own mixture for the Russian interior.
It looks more "green" in the photo than it is in the flesh.  Actually more accurate in the pic than on the bench (at least on my PC's screen...).
I can't quite seem to get the right hint of jade mixed in with the blues.

I used Testors Acryl:
20% French Blue (gloss)
30% Flat White
50% HellBlau RLM 78

Ends up with a nice, semi-gloss finish.

But I probably should have started with a green and added blue to it instead of the other way around.

cthulhu77

Looking good, er, ugly, senor !!!!!!
     This is going to be a cool craft !

greg

dragon

I am trying to convince my local Modelling club to do a contest based on a similar vein.  Make the ugliest __________ in the world.   Pure genius on JHM's part.  B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

John Howling Mouse

Been working on too many things at once but both helo's halves are attached and puttied.  Now to sand and reputty 12 times...  <_<

John Howling Mouse

Some more parts that have been modified then puttied.
The large rotor shaft housing "fins" had to be removed and capped with carefully cut profiles of sheet plastic, bent to fit the compound curves involved.  

I cut out an access panel in each nacelle and drilled 15 tiny holes in a small, square pattern to form a vent grill of sorts on each nacelle.  Never would have believed how hard it would be to do something as simple as drilling 3 rows of 5 holes.    <_<

I know it all looks pretty raunchy so far and the zillion raised rivets are going to make clean-up a bear but the mantra continues:

"Models are fun...models are fun..."   :dum:

BlackOps

It's gonna be worth it John! I tend to favor ugly aircraft so this project really has my interest! :)

Jeff G.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Just a quick shot to show the goofy pieces which came from a series of cuts and shaping of an F-15E's fueltanks and the tailpipe from an A-10 (I think).

Just to get a freakin' bulge in the big tailpipe.  Goofy!

And I realize I have no clue as to what a real turboprop should look like.  Especially one that is to wind up being fully exposed and as unattractive as possible.  I have sample pics and blueprints of real engines but they are all just a mess of incomprehensible details to me so I'm just gonna wing it.

Captain Canada

Beauty, Baz !

Uh, I mean "Ugh-lee ! Baz ! "

Looks like a right anount of work. You must be a masochist of sorts. Which would probably explain being married to a Mrs. Hilter.........

Anyway, where's the pic of the 15 little holes ? Be neat to see them.

Thanks for the update, and keep up the wretched work !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Awwwwww, my first Vulcan cannon....for the nose turret-thingey-sort of deal.

John Howling Mouse

Another view of the modified cannon (none of the swivel mounts and their hyd. cylinders are "correct").