Norwegian F/A-22

Started by anthonyp, July 30, 2005, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Here's my Norway F/A-22, which is the result of an experiment in coloring gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Originally this was going to either be a German F/A-22 or an Italian one, but the Model Master Dark Gull Grey I pulled out wasn't the new one I thought it was.  I opened it up, realized my mistake, and went to cover it again to pitch it, but it slipped through my fingers as I was moving it back to the bench, and spilled chunks on this model.  Ok, no problem, I'll strip it and repaint it.  Right at that moment, my dog decided to do something that guaranteed I was not going to get his brother (his brother is homeless, and I was considering taking him in, but not after the stunt Shepard pulled), and I didn't get back to my model until after the paint had dried.  By this time it was late, and I said I'd get to it later.

Later was three weeks later.  I scraped the chunks off, and went about removing the paint, but the thinner wasn't doing what I hoped it would.  I ended up saying "screw this," wiped off the thinner, and painted over the dark gull grey with flat gull grey.  The thinner and dark gull grey paint like substance wasn't quite done interacting, and that made the flat gull grey come out very dirty looking.  I applied another coat, and by this time I was getting tired of this model.  I applied a new dark gull grey to the darker surfaces, but wasn't satisfied with it.  I wiped it off, and applied some of my newly acquired RAF Ocean blue.  I let it dry, hoping for something similar to the Yak-145's color contrast, but ended up with this.  

"ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!" I said, looked through my decals for something that might go with this new scheme, found some Norwegian decals I was saving for an F-4M, but decided to try them on this.  Turned out OK, I think.

I'd think the Norwegians would use this to chase away the Su-22K's that are the bane of fishermen and civilian air control towers on the North Sea.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

markm70

I love it when a plan comes together...Nice save!

anthonyp

Thanks.  It looked much, MUCH worse before I did this to it.

Tophe

Funny camo :wub: , congratulations (seriously).
I just would have imagined something rather opposite: pieces of white iceberg floating on a rather dark sea - see the black & white negative of your picture below :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

So this Norwegian bird will be hunting YAK 145's over the North Cape ?

Lovely work on both kits Anthony
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

On a serious note, according to WAPJ Lockheed did sniff around Norway in the late 90s, seeing them as a potential export customer (at seriously discounted rates, obviously).  I believe Norway are still a potential customer for the Typhoon.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May