German F-106

Started by anthonyp, July 30, 2005, 03:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

I was originally going to do this F-106 up as an updated plane, complete with AIM-120's hung in an open weapons bay, but I frelled up the trapeze, so the doors got closed.  So, instead, I just painted it up in Luftwaffe service for the late 80's/early 90's.

I figure this plane would have supplemented the F-104's in German service, and would have been used to intercept the waves of expected Warsaw Pact planes should the Cold War ever go hot.  Plus, with the Genie capability (under control of the USAF), it could be used as an impromptu nuclear penetrator.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

anthonyp

Aft view.  That's it for this modelling sneeze (though I do have six F-4's currently on the assembly line...)

Matt Wiser

Well done with that Luftwaffe F-106! Genie was not an ASM: strictly a air-to-air weapon. 1.5 KT yield. One test shot in 1957 from an F-89J over Frenchman's Flat, NV. Air burst at 25,000 feet, with observers directly under the shot-no blast or heat effects on them. And it was too high for fallout.  
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

Captain Canada

Way cool Anthony !

106s rock. Were you around when they flew out of Selfridge ? I missed them. If only I knew they were still there when we moved here in '86.

Looks great in German camo too.......

And I'm sure you could point a Genie at the ground and knock out a few tanks !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Man, does that ever look, well, FOREIGN in that scheme.

I wouldn't even recognize it for an F-106 anymore.

Another great idea!

What does "I frelled up the trapeze" mean, though?   :dum:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

retro_seventies

she sure looks different in that cammo....

great job again, anthony - i think i'll get one of those 1/48 ones from walmart that everybody seems to be picking up....and then do it in french colours, and see how much it looks like it should be a mirage.

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

anthonyp

That's me, stealer of ideas you don't know you have yet!  :ph34r:  :ar:  :D

You aren't thinking outside the box enough.  I know Genie wasn't an ASM, but if you pointed it at a Helicopter or something, the F-106 was suddenly a bomber.

I've lived in this area my entire life.  I remember when Selfridge converted the 191st FIG from F-106's to F-4's.  I used to have a program from the airshow right after the change-over, but seem to have misplaced it.  Have you been to the Selfridge Air Museum in the last few years?  They've got an F-106 there that's not painted in 191st colors, which is a bit disappointing.  The Six-Pack's full colors were some of the coolest around.  Closest I came to getting the full color version was the low-vis after market decals I bought in the early 90's for a 1/72 F-16.  I also had decals for the 127th TFW.  Both went to my attempts at model building, and have been lost to the ages.  Too bad I still didn't have those decals...

This model was going to be either German, Japanese, or modified USAF for service in the 90's, but, like I said, I screwed up the weapons bay trapeze by letting an boxed Academy 1/144 B-47 fall onto the almost cured assembly.  The trapeze is so flimsy, that it was pointless to try and repair it.  Me saying I "Frelled up the trapeze" means I majorly messed up the weapons trapeze.  (Frell or Frelled comes from the Sci-Fi series "Farscape."  In the series, it meant "F$^K" or "F$^KED up."  Same with Battlestar Galactica's "Frack" and "Fracked," which I slip into using at times.)

Patrick H

Looks good, kind of Mirage like but in a German color

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air

NARSES2

I've got to agree with JHM and Patrick, it dosn't look like a F106, but it does look like a Mirage ! Shows what a different camo can do
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

Gorgeous 106 Anthony, I like the idea behind it as well.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die