Potential New Modeling/Wood Shop

Started by John Howling Mouse, July 31, 2005, 03:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Have a look.  Let me know what you think.  Each square equals one foot.
The builders charge so much these days that it is very likely we cannot afford this lay-out.  All of the cabinets, shelves, counters, sink, tables and toolstands I have already (could NOT be able to afford the builder to provide them, believe me!).

All of my toolstands are wheeled/mobile.

From this, I would do a further overlay to show the mechanical re:
- overhead heater
- lighting
- plumbing (rough-in for my existing sink and drain)
- dust collection ports
- electrical (incl. 220V)

Notice that I've entered a spot and 220V elec. outlet for a future oven range (here's hoping I can pick up an old oven someday for serious vacforming!).

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Image turns out kinda small since Photobucket.com auto re-sizes everything over 250KB but hope you can see this well enough.  The more eyes I have on it, the better.

Here is a shot with our van in situ.  Since the toolstands are all mobile, I can wheel them out of the way to permit at least one of our vehicles to come inside the garage.  I don't have even that luxury now as the CATS own the entire garage!

Ollie

Crazy Barry...

Did you consider environmental disturbance from the car being in the garage after a drive through some snow or rain?  It'll moist the place up, rendering airbrushing impossible!   :o

But that will be one wicked shop my friend!

:wub:  

cthulhu77

as long as you can shift your table saw, it looks like a great arrangement !!! You have to let us know how it proceeds... I have a new house going up right now, and I am still wondering how to build the modeling studio...

greg

John Howling Mouse

QuoteCrazy Barry...

Did you consider environmental disturbance from the car being in the garage after a drive through some snow or rain?  It'll moist the place up, rendering airbrushing impossible!   :o

But that will be one wicked shop my friend!

:wub:
That is a good point.  They want $400 to put in a floor drain!  We may not actually ever park a vehicle inside it.  At any rate, I figure the o/h heater (likely a natural gas one as I don't think I can afford the nice IR radiant kind) will actually keep things a bit too dry, in fact.

We have one now in the garage (occupied exclusively by Ms. Hitler's four felines) and it is brutally dry in there during winter because of it (she keeps it cranked to about 72 deg. F at all times----wouldn't want le chats to be cold, would we?).

Have to remember how dry it is in Alberta vs out east, too.

The tough thing is trying to airbrush in the same room that you create a lot of sawdust in.  I'm hoping the dust collection system minimizes the problem.  Currently, I'm in a little 400 sq ft half-basement shop where I work with wood one minute and airbrush an airplane model the next...might explain that especially "weathered" look I get sometimes!   ^_^  

John Howling Mouse

Quoteas long as you can shift your table saw, it looks like a great arrangement !!! You have to let us know how it proceeds... I have a new house going up right now, and I am still wondering how to build the modeling studio...

greg
You're right about the table saw.  I had also cut out a sample scale piece to represent a 4' x 8' sheet and it is truly amazing just how much room you really do need to manuever that kind of thing around.  

Fortunately, I don't do a lot of big projects like cabinetry.  And, if I need the room, I'll roll the tablesaw outside (weather permitting: should be good for about two weeks' worth per year over here!).

Good luck on your house-build.  Sure is a stressful time and we haven't even truly started yet!

Will you be able to put in an exhaust fan?  I bought a cheapie one at a farmers' supply store and I wouldn't paint without it now that I've seen the difference it makes.