G

F-35 Lightning II (aka JSF)

Started by Geoff_B, September 03, 2004, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on February 27, 2010, 12:50:59 PMA bit like that shown here?

Well that certainly answers part of the question on what it would look like from the rafters. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Taiidantomcat

That Pelican Tail F-35 is awesome!!!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

Ok, not a F-35, but what could have been:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Found this while searching for something totally unrelated.

SOURCE
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Spey_Phantom

BUMP  :thumbsup:

just thought i would show you the many faces of the F-35 Mockup  :mellow:

Australia:

Belgium:

USAF

The Netherlands

and the X-32A, for the win  ;D

Italian Navy

South-Korea

and finally, the Royal Navy (large image)

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/lockheedmartinf-35lightningii/images/22039/f-35-model-on-hms-illustrious.jpg
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Fulcrum

Just noticed something on the F-35 with the canopy: it hinges upward at the front like a Mig-21F's canopy.

One question about it: will they keep it like that on their production aircraft?
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

GTX

Quote from: Fulcrum on July 31, 2010, 12:37:58 AM
Just noticed something on the F-35 with the canopy: it hinges upward at the front like a Mig-21F's canopy.

One question about it: will they keep it like that on their production aircraft?

They already are:

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on January 07, 2011, 11:06:17 AM
Quote from: GTX on January 07, 2011, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: Henry Yeh on January 06, 2011, 11:10:23 AM
With T/W of 0.87:1 (inferior to that of AIDC F-CK-1), F-35 is NOT more maneuverable than F-16. The F-35 performs its specific missions brilliantly well when performing as part of US armed forces or US-lead international coalition, but if some fools that do not enjoy all these supports (Taiwan, Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia, to name a few) mistakenly believe F-35 could replace their F-16 in every role (including as interceptors), then I have to bowdown to LM's PR team.

Go on, tell your next joke.

Greg

Agreed with Greg, even if that stat was true... Maneuverability isn't everything. I know that sounds like blasphemy to many of you, but its the truth.

While I tend to think that thrust-to-weight ratio might not be the be-all-and-end-all to maneuverability, and that maneuverability might not be the be-all-and-end-all to air combat (like I said, I think the Vietnam War era is long gone, both literally and figuratively), I think Henry has a point with the second part of his notion.

Which brings me to another question- the F-35 has been advertised as a situational awareness platform as well.  Could it therefore act in concert with dedicated AEW/AEW&C assets to provide a better SA picture for other fighters types within an air force?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Quote from: dy031101 on January 07, 2011, 11:26:46 AM
Which brings me to another question- the F-35 has been advertised as a situational awareness platform as well.  Could it therefore act in concert with dedicated AEW/AEW&C assets to provide a better SA picture for other fighters types within an air force?

Provided they had the means to receive data then most definitely.

regards,

Greg

dy031101

Yes, I think for some air forces, the F-35 should be part of the brain instead of the whole muscle.  The F-35 would contribute to the SA and take shots as the opportunity presents itself, but perhaps there should be another type- designated missile/bomb trucks, lightning bruisers, or even long range missiles- bearing the brunt of the battle.

====================

To-do list here

GTX

A perfect such Hi/Lo mix might be F-35s/JAS-39s.

Regards,

Greg

dy031101

You know, in the past I've always been cheering for F-35B-and-Rafale (which AFAIK still doesn't have an export launch customer) combo for future ROCAF.  Of course F-35B might need the ROCAF to take a few pages from Sweden on how to disperse their assets in time of war to be very worthwhile.

====================

To-do list here

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 07, 2011, 11:16:53 AM
True, but it helps.

Indeed. as does speed, firepower, acceleration, stealth, versatility, Electronic warfare ability, sensor strength, and doezens of other factors. All planes are compromises from the second the task is announced,  If you want to bet everything on maneuverability buy this:

You may find it wanting in other areas though.  ;D

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Henry Yeh

T/W ratio affects more than just maneuverability (sustained turn rate). It also impacts speed, acceleration, climb, etc. All these affect the effectiveness of BVR AAM.
The best choice for ROCAF is F-15SE Silent Eagle.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Henry Yeh on January 07, 2011, 02:37:33 PM
T/W ratio affects more than just maneuverability (sustained turn rate). It also impacts speed, acceleration, climb, etc. All these affect the effectiveness of BVR AAM.
The best choice for ROCAF is F-15SE Silent Eagle.

Good luck with that