G

F-35 Lightning II (aka JSF)

Started by Geoff_B, September 03, 2004, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The first time I've seen a landing shot with that HUGE lift fan intake door open!

Anyone know why they changed from the twin sideways folding doors they used for the initial VTOL flight tests?

I'm so chuffed that I had something to do with that too! I was on the installation team for the monster friction welder at Rolls-Royce at Nottingham that they use to weld the blades onto the hubs for the flight-rated main lift fans. The welder is only just smaller than my house (!) but only just.....!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Taiidantomcat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6r_4UM6Eso&feature=player_embedded

More  ;D

Quote from: Maverick on October 03, 2011, 07:55:41 PM
  I was hoping for actual sound rather than a techno soundtrack, but still nice vision.

The Navy has no taste
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

PR19_Kit

Hold on there!

It has BOTH sets of fan doors now, that big barn door thing and two sideways doors behind that. You can see the inlet guide vanes for the fan under the barn door, but what are the sideways opening doors for? It doesn't have TWO fans surely?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Caveman

they go straight to the compressor face, iirc.

Like blown in doors... but outward
secretprojects forum migrant

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2011, 11:01:02 PM<...> It doesn't have TWO fans surely?

It doesn't. They're auxiliary air inlet doors, as Caveman says. To supply the engine with more air as the amount of ram air through the normal inlets decreases at slow speeds/in hover.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Maverick

Once again, nice vision Ben.  Thanks for sharing.  I especially liked the unassisted takeoff shots.

Regards,

Mav

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 06, 2011, 11:39:31 PM
It doesn't. They're auxiliary air inlet doors, as Caveman says. To supply the engine with more air as the amount of ram air through the normal inlets decreases at slow speeds/in hover.

Ahah, thanks to both of you.

The X-35 managed with only the main intakes, perhaps the engine was less pokey on the experimental version? I know the fan was smaller on the X-35 as R-R had one at the plant where I installed the welder, they machined that fan from solid titanium and it cost a BOMB! I think they said even the machined off scrap brought back them a few million pounds!  :o

Regards
Kit

GTX

Cool videos  :thumbsup:

[Brag mode on]I managed to walk the F-35 Assembly line last week  ;D. no pics though I'm afraid.[Brag mode off]
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2011, 11:21:11 PM
Anyone know why they changed from the twin sideways folding doors they used for the initial VTOL flight tests?

The lift fan inlet doors were changed from a bi-fold, side-hinged configuration to a single, aft-hinged door. The change added some weight, but significantly reduced lift fan flow distortion, which increased lift fan performance and operability.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on October 08, 2011, 06:12:10 AM
The lift fan inlet doors were changed from a bi-fold, side-hinged configuration to a single, aft-hinged door. The change added some weight, but significantly reduced lift fan flow distortion, which increased lift fan performance and operability.

Thanks for that Greg, makes sense at least.

On  a similar subject, the place where I was doing some work at this week (got to pay for Telford SOME how!) is a test lab for lots of customers and they had a big electro-dymanic vibration rig running with an entire IFR probe assembly mounted on it! I wandered over to take a look and asked the test engineer if it was for the F-35. He nearly jumped out of his skin and asked how I knew that. I told him I didn't, but as it was the only military aircraft having any UK content running at present it was on a short list of one......  ;D

Didn't look anything special,, once you've seen one retractable IFR probe you've seen them all of course.

Regards
Kit

GTX

NARSES2

November's SAM has a build of the Fujimi 1/72 kit, plus an article on the aircraft it'self with plans and profiles, inc. a Thunderbirds one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

A bit like that shown in Reply #97?

NARSES2

Quote from: GTX on October 25, 2011, 03:25:33 AM
A bit like that shown in Reply #97?

Yup it's the white one Greg - Chris showing his complete ignorance about display teams
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.