current Ilmavoimat aircraft information ...

Started by TsrJoe, August 26, 2005, 06:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

the current, september 2005 (Vol27 No7) issue of 'Scale Aircraft Modelling' has a feature on the Finnish Air Force and the aircraft colour schemes used therin, possibly of use for some of our current reserach projects discussed online?

cheers, Joe  :ph34r:

ps. typical, nothing when your looking for info then all of a sudden a glut of it...ah well better more than less...
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Howard of Effingham

Quotethe current, september 2005 (Vol27 No7) issue of 'Scale Aircraft Modelling' has a feature on the Finnish Air Force and the aircraft colour schemes used therin, possibly of use for some of our current reserach projects discussed online?

you could also try www.ilmavoimat.fi

however, be warned it is 100% in finnish and i can't find anyway of translating
it into english.  :unsure:

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

retro_seventies

top left corner - where it says air force...

click that and suddenly everything's in english - joy!  :D  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

TsrJoe

http://www.mil.fi/english/index.dsp

english link to the official Finnish Defense Forces site, not too much of interest modelwise but might be somat of use?

http://www.nightsky.fi/

a link to two aviation photographers based in Finland, some really cool imagery here ..

:ph34r:

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Howard of Effingham

Quotetop left corner - where it says air force...

click that and suddenly everything's in english - joy!  :D
:D  thank-you!  :D  

btw, i picked up the RoG blenheim Mk1/1F last night and much to my surprise it
comes with finnish markings. that was the only reason i swapped an F9F-5 of
hasegawa origin for it.

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

TsrJoe

thatd look good with a german radar fitted as a night fighter as actually mooted circa 1943...

cheers, Joe  :ph34r:  

TsrJoe

Hyvaa syntymapaivaa! (happy birthday) ... today is the 90th anniversary of the Suomi Ilmavoimat, one of the oldest air forces in the world

hm..i wonder if well see any anneversary schemes??? ('winter war' Hornet's anyone... or a reevaluation of Von Rosen's 'lucky cross' ?...lol !)

;D

P1127

Quote from: TsrJoe on March 07, 2008, 03:15:54 AM
Hyvaa syntymapaivaa! (happy birthday) ... today is the 90th anniversary of the Suomi Ilmavoimat, one of the oldest air forces in the world

hm..i wonder if well see any anneversary schemes??? ('winter war' Hornet's anyone... or a reevaluation of Von Rosen's 'lucky cross' ?...lol !)

;D

I thought it was THE oldest independant Air Force, beating the RAF by some 3 weeks
It's not an effing  jump jet.

lancer

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on August 27, 2005, 02:04:53 AM
Quotetop left corner - where it says air force...

click that and suddenly everything's in english - joy!  :D
:D  thank-you!  :D  

btw, i picked up the RoG blenheim Mk1/1F last night and much to my surprise it
comes with finnish markings. that was the only reason i swapped an F9F-5 of
hasegawa origin for it.

t.

Got that little beauty in the stash, I had totally forgotten about it.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

TsrJoe

... from 'Suomen Ilmavoimat 90 vuotta' by Jyrki Laukkanen ( a truly excellent one stop reference for the history of the Finnish Air Force, its in both Suomi and English with lots of piccies too!) ISBN. 978 952 5026 77 1

some lil snippets and notes from its contents ...

F.18C/D Hornet  AIM.120B AMRAAM. maximum of 6-8 of in overload condition, the aircraft to be upgraded with Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System and associated AIM.9X, as well as Boeing SLAM.ER ASM. by 2010

Fokker Friendship 100  FF.1 configured for SIGNINT/ELINT in 1991

Future liason aircraft to be decided on either the Beechcraft Super King Air 200 (UC.12M) or the Swiss Pilatus PC.12 to replace the Valmet Redigo and Piper Chieftan

CASA 295M transport, 2 delivered with a further option on 5 more (CC.3 to be added by 2010)

Airbus A330 MRTT (Multi Role Tanker/Transport) 2 of in cooperation with Finnair

Boeing (MDD.) C.17A under the NATO. AMA. (Airlift Management Agency) 3 to be based at Papa Air Force Base in Hungary

NH Industries NH.90 assault helicopter, 20 of (delivered coded KH. to be changed to NH.) capabilities to be built
upon in service

18 of, ex Swiss Air Force BAE. Hawk Mk.66 to augment the existing fleet, a requirement for 25-30  new trainers will be required around 2025

theres no mention of the Boeing (MDD.) AH.64D Apache in the volume (see previous post) altho it has been noted as a possible future Maavoimat purchase

cheers, Joe  :wacko:

TsrJoe

Quotes from Major General Heikki Lyytinen, Commander in Chief of the Finnish Air Force ...

'Finland plans to hold six upgraded F.18's and 150-210 airmen at high level of operational readyness as part of the counter air operations component of any European rapid deployment force, with these to be avaliable from 2010'

'we have a study, which is led by our ministry of defence, to see if there are any possibilities for Finland for strategic or tactical airliftand if the same could be the solution for air to air refuelling'

'the baseline is the Raytheon Joint Stand Off Weapon or more, and more or less we are looking at weapons like SLAM-ER, Taurus and JASSM. There is the problem of what weapons you can have because of the release politics. For example, JASSM is not so easy, we know that very well, Australia is the only country that has got it, but we are looking forward. In contrast Finland has secured release approvals for the Boeing SLAM-ER'

'we have thought about towed decoys systems and such, but with the MLU2 we are in the planing phase and dont yet have any decisions. We are trying to find solutions that are good for us and you always have to have the other thing which is the money'

updated from edited from previous post ...

Boeing (MDD.) F.18C/D Hornet, MLU2 (Mid-life update) aircraft to be upgraded with Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System and associated Raytheon AIM.9X, complimenting the AIM.120 AMRAAM. as well as Boeing SLAM.ER ASM. by 2010
A further source also mentions Raytheon AGM.88E advanced anti radiation guided missiles as part of MLU2

cheers, Joe

TsrJoe

Quotes from Dr. Seppo Kääriäinen, Minister of Defence of Finland ...

'the Finnish air force needs a reconaissance and targer aquisition system using effective UAV's and modern sensors to support future long range ground attack operations'

'based on evaluation, the developmental EADS new generation networked UAV (Agile) programme, is seen as a potential solution to fulfil the Finnish performance requirements'

cheers, Joe

http://www.eads.com/800/en/businet/defence/mas/uav/agile.html

TsrJoe

Ref; Janes Defence Weekly, Feb 07, 1996

<text>
Italian aerospace company Aermacchi SpA took another step last week to lead the European trainer aircraft industry by taking over allproduction and sales rights for the Valmet L-90TP Redigo fromFinland's Valmet Aviation Industries, writes Carol Reed.The deal follows the announcement last October that Aermacchi andSIAI Marchetti were preparing to merge their trainer businesses(Jane's Defence Weekly 11 November).Aermacchi produces the MB-339 family of military trainers whileSIAI-Marchetti builds the SF-260 and S211 range of basic andadvanced trainers.Under the latest deal with Valmet, Aermacchi adds the L-90TP to its portfolio, and has sole rights to the aircraft's sale worldwide.Aermacchi has renamed the Finnish trainer the M-290TP Redigo.In service with the Finnish, Mexican and Eritrean air forces, theRedigo is designed to cover the primary and basic training phase,preparing students for the advanced jet trainer stage in one step.Powered by a 450 shp turboprop, the aircraft is capable of seatingup to four persons and can also be operated as a multipurposeaircraft for use in patrol, search and rescue, liaison and ambulanceroles.Valmet, which is 58.6 per cent state-owned, had been trying to findreplacement work for the Redigo after orders dried up.Aermacchi is owned by Aeronautica Macchi in which the state-owned Finmeccanica holds a majority stake.

cheers, Joe

TsrJoe

Black Hornet ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzf_12zdSU&feature=related

Future military ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yY_xI-vn6U&feature=related

cheers, joe

ps. does anyone know how to grab stils from video footage ??  id be interested in a closer look at that Hornet and NH.90  :wacko:

TsrJoe