G

Grumman XF-12 Lion

Started by Geoff_B, August 30, 2005, 02:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_B

Thought you might like to see the current work in progress.

Yeap your right its not a UK project for once, its actually American from the grumman stable. This is the Grumman XF-12 Lion (well it had to be a cat name and its a bit beefier than the Tiger). This was Grumman contender for a Mach 2 missile armed carrier based interceptor for the US Navy from the late 50's.
Yeap this was another contender for the Phantom contract.

Model is adapted form one of my favouriye base airframes the PM Su-21 Flagon, with the nose cone adjusted, cockpit relocated, new intakes etc coupled to scratchbuilt wings and fin.

Currently blending the canopy as the upper grey is just the primmer, as i will finnish her in standard US markings for the period.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Geoff_B

Blending in the canopy after primming.

Geoff_B

The underside, with wheel wells and sparrow troughs

anthonyp

Now that looks cool!  You gonna mount the two Sparrows and three Sidewinders flush, or just three Sparrows against the fuselage (the F12F was supposed to have this bizarre arrangement).

Can't wait to see it finished.

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Ollie

Awesome stuff Geoff!

Can't wait to see her done!

:wub:  :wub:  

elmayerle

QuoteNow that looks cool!  You gonna mount the two Sparrows and three Sidewinders flush, or just three Sparrows against the fuselage (the F12F was supposed to have this bizarre arrangement).

There were also provisions to carry AAM-N-10 "Eagle" missiles under the wings, eithe two or four.  A varaint of this was Grumman's supersonic entry in the "Missileer" competition.  As I recall, the "high-subsonic" entry was derived from teh Intruder airframe and teh "low-subsonic" entry from the S-2 or E-2 airframe.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

cthulhu77

Kudos, sir !!!!  Wonderful !!  Nice job with the fairings...looks like it is going to be something quite cool...

greg

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Julhelm

On the bench:

Post-apocalyptic Beaufighter

anthonyp

QuoteThere were also provisions to carry AAM-N-10 "Eagle" missiles under the wings, eithe two or four.  A varaint of this was Grumman's supersonic entry in the "Missileer" competition.  As I recall, the "high-subsonic" entry was derived from teh Intruder airframe and teh "low-subsonic" entry from the S-2 or E-2 airframe.
The F6D-1 Missileer kinda reminds me of an tandem seat A-9, actually.

http://www.military.cz/usa/air/post_war/f6d/f6d-1.jpg

I like Thor's F-12 better.   :D  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

BlackOps

Just what in the heck is wrong with you? I can't believe you put that "toy" airplane on that fine piece of absract art!!!   ROTFL!

Now that's a well used workbench, and I have to say it looks like you've put it to good use with your XF-12!

Great job, can't wait to see the finished product!

Jeff G.

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

NARSES2

Well when I had a sneak preview of this I thought it looked a bit like a Javelin - then Geoff showed me the 3-view  :dum: . Looking good mate

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff_B

QuoteNow that looks cool!  You gonna mount the two Sparrows and three Sidewinders flush, or just three Sparrows against the fuselage (the F12F was supposed to have this bizarre arrangement).

Any ideas where the heck the third Sparrow goes as the GA drawing i used only appears to indicate the two (the text does mention 3 however). Should get round to masking off the white bits later this week once the canopy seam is cleaned up - the canopy was fixed BTW with the access/egress from below.

I'll see about wing Pylons, tanks and wing mounted missiles once the main paintying is sorted and i can get her on her undercarriage.

Cheers

Geoff B

lancer

Looking damm good there Thorvic.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Patrick H

Great stuff Thorvic   :wub:  :wub:

:cheers:

Patrick
My webpage

The engines spit out fire, I'm pushed back in my chair
The pressure gives me thrills as we climb in the air