G

Grumman XF-12 Lion

Started by Geoff_B, August 30, 2005, 02:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

QuoteI actuall found an interesting bit on the XF-12 in Freidmans "Post War Naval Revolution". The three sidewinders actually fitted in an internal weapons bay between the main wheel bays. Also like the FD-3 was originally to have a rocket booster to to get up altitude of 75,000 ft in 2 minutes. Only mentions the two sparrows however but wing pylons could be used for drop tanks and additional missiles. In an alternative mode the sparrow could be replace with a nuclear bomb for the strike role.
Freidman's got a book out that I don't have yet?   :blink:

Cool!  Gotta save up for it.

Seriously, though, trying to find info on the XF-12 is like trying to find info on Naval Floggers.  You know it's out there, just don't know where.  Where I got the blurb about the Sidewinders and trapeze was from globalsecurity.org:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...rcraft/f12f.htm

Of course, I take whatever I read at globalsecurity.org with a grain of salt, as they do screw up from time to time, like here (where they say F-4's operated off of the USS Saipan as a training carrier):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys.../ship/cv-48.htm

While I like the XF-12, it ain't no F-4  :wub:  :wub:

In any case, I look forward to seeing yours completed.  It might make me pull out that Su-21 I have in storage and do something to it.

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Geoff_B

Ah-ha

I would guess the third sparrow fitted between the main wheels, or an alternate fit was to use two Sparrows and have three sidewinders in the internal magazine.

Sent you an email with the book details

It is actually a worthwhile conversion job for those who feel upto it. Now if only we could find some F-106 style canopies.

Cheers

Geoff B)

elmayerle

The only other location I can think of for a third Sparrow would be to see how the arrangement on the F8U-3 might be adapted.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Geoff_B

Just a quick update

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Hobbes

cthulhu77

anthonyp

Holy wow!  Great job!
:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

I had a sneak preview on sunday but I'll say in public what I said then - brilliant !

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pometablava

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Congratulations Thorvic! Nice bird
Manzana in corpore sano

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

nev

Fantastic Geoff!  :wub:

She looks so very 1960s!  Great stuff  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Archibald

fantastic!! a beautiful plane along a Phantom and Anigrand SuperCrusader... Thorvic you made in model all the planes I like (Ie Fairey Delta III and XF-12F). If you do a Thin Wing Javelin I will mary you :P :P :P :P :P :P  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Brian da Basher

Gorgeous Thorvic, simply gorgeous! That's gotta be one of the most beautiful U.S. Navy jet-whiffs I've ever seen. You are a modeller of great skill and talent, I am truly humbled.

Brian da Basher