The Coast Guard/SAR build

Started by anthonyp, September 03, 2005, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallymodeller

Picked up a Hasegawa EA-6B Prowler today with the expressed intention of turning it into a SAR/Patrol bird. I think it'll look really good in CCG white/red...  
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Joe C-P

I think this one will get my vote, as long as I can get Mexican Navy decals from Aztec.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

SebastianP

Italeri's 1/350 Ticonderoga would look really cool in USCG markings, don't you think?  :ph34r:

SP

proditor

Yeah, I have a few ideas that might work.  I'm a tenative yes for this one, a definite if I have enough superstructure bits.  ;)

anthonyp

I applied the colors finally to my F-4J(CG) the other day.  Now, underwing stores, and what I'm going to put in the Sparrow wells, decal it, and it's done.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Daryl J.

How about:

The He-177 (1/72 Revell Germ) gets turbines/contraprops, a fuselage stretch, and full SAR equipment used by both Canada and the US postwar.....after all, to the victor go the spoils and perchance Kelly Johnson and Bill Boeing didn't quite have all that political clout...................................

The F-117 in full USCG markings and based in Panama......................

The DC-6 gets further engineered, navalized, and equipped for long-term sea-level flight a la P-3C/Electra or Comet/Nimrod........

The B-47 gets inducted into the USCG for drug interdiction N. of Colombia (Er...sir...would that just be a bomb we dropped on that yacht?   Uh....no sir!  Didn't think so, sir...........good shot!)

Etc.......

anthonyp

A bump....  FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!

Actually, since we're making reservations for next year's GB's, I still think this one would be good.  I can offer prizes based on category:  For ships, I can offer "An Illustrated Guide to US Destroyers" (non-revised) by Norman Friedman as first place, for planes I can offer some vintage kit that I seem to be finding for cheap as of late, and for helo's, some massive helo that screams "Paint me in Hangover headache inducing yellow and leafy roundels."  For second and third places, I can find the appropriate Revell/Italeri kit (2nd place) and Starfix/Ace Models/Maquette/Lindberg kit for 3rd place.

So, what y'all think?  Interested?  Or are we preoccupied with the forthcoming water-bomber GB to get our "almost civvie" fix?

rallymodeller

Well, as I'm one of the ones who proposed this in the first place you KNOW I'm in!
--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

Captain Canada

A Merlin would be a nice CCG bird.
Alright, but my chopper has to be eligible !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lenny100

QuoteIf it was possible to find a kit of HMS Leeds Castle in a decent scale (what sadist has the space and money to model ships in 1/72?), it'd be a shoe-in...

1/72 ship models? Hell yes!
me

[IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o1/lenny100/tsr2/workinprogress028.jpg
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

kitnut617

I've come in a bit late on this, what's the dead line as I have this which I posted earlier in the year.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=11765&hl=dhc-8

I'm in the process of moving house and I don't know when I can get to finish it.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

QuoteI'm now convinced that one of the members of this board also writes for CASR DND 101; much of the time we propose a new topic or group build it shows up there. Witness:

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/mp-sar.htm

containing juicy What If's like this:

I like the SAR Herc, and now I have to look for a Hobbycraft Dash-8 to do up...
I just started browsing this thread and only yesterday I received in the mail, a model of the Green/yellow Super King Air shown here.  It's an actual aircraft and not a What-If at all.   It's made by RHVP and is in 1/72 scale.  This is a very nice resin kit full of detail parts and metal undercarriage legs.  On JBot's website, Jimbo had this scheme shown for quite sometime plus an all red one.  I don't think they will ever get produced though as he has a lot of personal issues at the moment and nothing is getting done.

I received another RVHP Super King Air a couple of weeks ago of an RAF version, plus I already have a Rareplane vacu-form kit too.  The RVHP RAF kit comes with two sets of decals so I know where the second set is going.

Cheers,  Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

When I was in St. John's earlier this year, I thought I was seeing one of those Yankee Hurons coming in for a landing.....which was kinda cool. I figured it was on it's way to/from the Middle East. As we taxiied past it, I noticed that it wasn't Yank at all, but one of the ______ operated CCG birds all done up in low-vis ! Sure looked the part.......

Mind you, the red one is just brilliant.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

anthonyp

Hmmm, deadline... I have no idea, as I haven't even PMed Thor yet to put in a GB reservation.

I'd say anything that hasn't been previously submit to another GB is eligible.

So, is there still interest among those that previously expressed interest (months ago, that is)?

Scooterman