Started by anthonyp, September 03, 2005, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzerWulff

or I do have the Italeri 1/72 MH-53E Sea Dragon in the stash as well
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

anthonyp

The MH-53E would be probably be the route I'd go for a Coastie Stallion.  With the big sponsons, they wouldn't need to carry external fuel tanks, plus, it just looks cool!

I'd been tossing the idea of an MH-53E in Coastie markings, though I don't have a Sea Dragon kit in the stash (nor have I really been looking, but still...).  Be great for use over the Bering Sea.  Love to see one of these on "Deadliest Catch."

Somewhere on the web, released during the VXX competition, there's some CGI of a US101 in Coastie markings.  Not as cool as an MH-53E, but definitely a possibility for a CG heavy helo, using the Italeri Cormorant kit as a base.

Too bad no one makes an S-92 kit (yet...).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

lancer

Quoteor I do have the Italeri 1/72 MH-53E Sea Dragon in the stash as well
Yep, I've got that one as well.  Must admit I was going more along the boat route for my coastie build, but things can change.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PanzerWulff

I'm definatly going with the MH-53E I even have the eduard pre colored cockpit set for it :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Mossie

This one's a definate maybe:

HoE's fault, he suggested I join in this build after my near flooding with an RAF SAR helicopter.  Now look what you've done Trev, I'm thinking again!!!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

Only just read all this thread. I have an idea for one of those Chinese semi-scale Spruances. So count me in, but when does it start ? :huh:  

Brian da Basher

I think we're looking at Sept. 1st - Dec. 1st, but Comrade Anatoly will be able to give you the best info. Keep an eye out for the new GB topic around Sept. 1!

Brian da Basher

anthonyp

Yep, looking at a 3 monther (Sept 1- Dec 1, with maybe a one or two week extension, knowing how GB's usually go  :P  ).

I've been bouncing all over the place trying to figure out what I was going to do for this one, but I think I've nailed it down to two possibilities:  HV-22H "Jay-sprey" and an "HU-30H" (my E-2 derived amphibious design).  I'll probably get hit in the head between now and then and come up with a few more possibilities, so nothing's set in stone for me.

OOOH!!!  Just remembered, I got all these little PHM's and LCAC's with those ARII Ticos and Sprucans I bought over the winter!  Probably go with a little Pegasus class flotilla, ala the USS Highpoint (which became USCGC Highpoint for all of a month).  No Harpoons, just guns, maybe put a Phalanx on the aft deck...

And then there's those LCAC's...  And that Challenger 604 in the stash...  and that 737-800...  and that dinky Japanese DD that's been sitting in the stash that would look good as a high endurance cutter...

elmayerle

I'd leave the Harpoons for dealing with 'armed and dangerous' drug runners et al.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Shasper

Pity I didnt hold-off on building my Sea Master, I'm just about to the painting stage  :mellow:

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Geoff

QuoteI'd leave the Harpoons for dealing with 'armed and dangerous' drug runners et al.
Which is the sort of thing I was thinking of. But leave off the SAMS as you would not want a BVR capability on what is essentially a police ship as someone else put it so well.

proditor

I know what I'm building.

Eventually...

Like some year...

Oh who am I kidding, I love the idea, but Molasses is quicksilver compared to me.  :(

Anyway, I'm making this sucker.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//index...=90#entry231543

anthonyp

Holy crap!  Talk about life imitating art!  From the article at Defensenews.com:

Posted 08/06/07 13:31

U.S. Coast Guard's New Unit Similar to Spec Ops
By PATRICIA KIME

The U.S. Coast Guard calls them special-ized forces: Teams that can perform helicopter insertions against armed enemies, conduct scuba searches for mines and bombs, or storm disputed oil platforms.

Aiming to become the nation's lead maritime tactical response force, these Coast Guardsmen — members of the service's new Deployable Operations Group (DOG) — are about as close to special operations-capable as the Coast Guard gets.

The DOG formally became a Coast Guard unit July 20 in a sunset ceremony in Washington.

"We have specialized forces that conduct the high-end portions of our missions," said Rear Adm. Tom Atkin, the DOG's fist commander. "Could we say some of these capabilities are similar skill sets as special forces in [the Defense Department]? Definitely."

Like the Defense Department armed services' special operations commands, the DOG draws together the Coast Guard's elite teams — those that handle anti-terrorism response, environmental disasters, port security and combat operations in the maritime milieu, according to service officials.

Its command cadre will oversee the Coast Guard's response to operational contingencies both at home and overseas. Past events that have relied on DOG legacy units include the space shuttle Columbia disaster, port security of Umm Quasr, Iraq, Hurricane Katrina and the response to the Palermo Senator, a vessel that carried radioactive cargo — later found to be harmless roofing tiles — into the port of Newark, N.J.

The new command is necessary, officials say, to streamline the Coast Guard's — and the nation's — response to disasters, whether they be natural or man-made.

"During Hurricane Katrina, we performed admirably," Atkin said. "But response was a little more ad hoc than it needed to be. We weren't always 100 percent sure of each other's [tactics, techniques and procedures]. If we'd had the doctrine and the force package in place, we would have been even more effective."

The Coast Guard is unique in that, as a military service in the Homeland Security Department, it has domestic arrest powers under Title 14 of the U.S. Code.

But if a law-enforcement action turns into a matter of homeland defense, the Coast Guard can respond as an arm of the armed forces, falling under the Defense Department's chain of command.

The Coast Guard's dual-hatted role allows the DOG to better coordinate with government agencies and the armed services, Atkin said.

"The goal is to maybe have some redundant capabilities but not duplicative," Atkin said. "We're not trying to be the [FBI's Hostage Response Team]. We do want to be part of the maritime response capability for the nation, and we believe we are building out the right capability."

The idea for the DOG grew out of an internal assessment to the Coast Guard's response following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Once the service began standing up maritime safety and security teams and deploying Coast Guardsmen overseas for port security and naval coastal warfare, officials believed its law enforcement and combat arms units would be better served under one command. Hurricane Katrina pushed the movement into high gear.

The DOG was "actually developed in a PowerPoint shortly after 9/11. But the timing wasn't right, and the plan wasn't approved," Atkin said, adding that when Adm. Thad Allen became commandant in 2006, he made the DOG's development a priority.

The command component of the DOG is temporarily housed in Arlington, Va., in an office building that has a classified communications room and office space for its 100-plus members. Atkin envisions the DOG's permanent home to be somewhere near Washington, but with training space.

Units now under DOG command, including the Coast Guard's 13 maritime safety and security teams, National Strike Force environmental hazards unit, a Chesapeake, Va.-based maritime security response team, Naval Coastal Warfare Squadron Coast Guard members and the service's tactical law enforcement teams, will remain at their current locations.

E-mail: pkime@militarytimes.com.

A more benign (and less armed) version of Dale Brown's Hammerheads, maybe?  Definitely interesting, though!

Heh, DOG units... Sea-dogs?

Blacklion213

can i enter with a HV-22 Osprey in USCG colors?

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=141464

anthonyp

Sure!  I was going to build one myself, using the old ESCI HV-22 kit.  Which kit were you looking at using?