F-86 Sabre and FJ Fury

Started by Daryl J., September 18, 2005, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

Why not make a forward swept wing f-86? :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Wonderfull photograph  ;D ;D

Thanks Logan  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP

wonder what a sabre with a Merlin or Griffin engine would look like

kitnut617

Funny you should ask that --

sometime ago after reading a book put out by the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust called the Rolls Royce Crecy (V-12 2-Stroke engine about the same size as a Merlin), I came up with this because I was looking for an airframe that could handle 8000 hp.

The idea is the engine is where the jet engine really is and the prop was driven by an extension shaft.  Because the exhaust exited through an exhaust turbine, the exhaust exits through the tail pipe.  One of the layout schemes shown in the book has the radiator core surrounding the engine supercharger, my idea was the hot cooling air exits outside of the exhaust tail pipe.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jesse220

I would love to see a forward swept wing Sabre.

zenrat

Quote from: Flyer on August 18, 2014, 12:49:30 PM
Very nice. Being 2-stroke and shaft driven it would have a distinctive noise :blink:

Like 12 giant flying Whipper Snippers in close formation!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ysi_maniac

Subtle crossings between SMB2 and Sabre.

Will die without understanding this world.

Air21

I always thought the rocket tray on the F-86d was a cool feature.  70mm rockets hidden in the fuselage.

Think about a low cost stealth demonstrator.  The engine is completely shielded from radar, the intake just needs planform alignment and a nice blended trapezoidal wing.  Tailless or v tails.

Dizzyfugu

The Super Mystere also had a retractable rocket launch rack (rarely used, if at all, though), PLUS guns...

jcf

A rocket-pack is great as long as works correctly.  ;D

Premature firing during test of a proposed 3-row rocket-pack, 9-9-55, pilot was Bob Hoover.
F-86D/K/L: Part One, Ray Wagner, Ginter 1999

Old Wombat

Well, that would have made for an interesting flight! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Fascinating, thanks Jon  :thumbsup:

I'm actually surprised that "problem" didn't have more serious consequences  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Hmmmm, yes.  A flat front tyre (or even missing undercarriage) would have made for an interesting landing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Seeing as the pilot was Bob Hoover it was probably a matter of "Aw, sh_t" and he
got on with landing the plane. Bob was a truly incredible pilot, possibly the best
US pilot ever.

PR19_Kit

Having seen Bob Hoover do his thing with the Aero Commander, like landing from a loop with NEITHER engine running from the bottom of the loop, I'm surprised he even noticed.  ;D

It probably flew better with that extra intake area anyway.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit