XIX Squadron Tryphoon

Started by SimonR, September 24, 2005, 06:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

This is a XIX Squadron 'Tryphoon' FGR.5 based at Basrah International Airport during Operation Iranian Mendacity in December 2009. What if, RAF crews found the first ground attack variants of the Typhoon lacking in performance when performing long range, low level, heavily armed, high speed strike missions. Eurofighter responded to these criticisms by inserting a 1.4m section in the rear fuselage allowing the installation of a third EJ200 engine and a pair of 600 gallon conformal tanks. This allowed heavily loaded Tryphoons to fly all the way to Tehran and back at mach 1.5 and 50' AGL.

The model was made by using two 1/72 Revell Typhoon T.1 kits. The complex shape of the Typhoon fuselage meant the lower and upper sections had to be split into a total of six parts and then re-assembled with plastic card sections to achieve the correct dimensions for the Tryphoon. I decided that it was important to retain distinctive Typhoon styling cues such as the rectangular section engine intakes. This proved a major problem for the front landing gear because, as with the real Typhoon, the nose wheel retracts into the space behind the splitter plate between the two intakes. Now I had three intakes there was no room for a central wheel well. Having discarded various unpalatable alternatives such as a longer Su-27 style nose wheel ahead of the intakes I decided to go with two sets of nose gear retracting into the spaces behind the intakes. One set of landing gear was cut up and re-assembled to form a mirror image of the other.

The kit was painted with Tamiya paints and the decals are from a Fujimi Phanton FGR.2 (world's thickest decals). The model is armed with the kit Meteors and external tanks, scratchbuilt ASRAAMs and GBU-12s from the Hasegawa Weapons Set.

Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

Spey_Phantom

That typhoon looks great, i think the sharkmouth and the 3rd engine does it  B)  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

AeroplaneDriver

WOW!  Very nice model.  I love the desert camo too.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

anthonyp

Cool Typhoon, most excellant job!!  But I think the engine would look better as the apex of a triangle...  Like the picture below (no idea where I found the pic), or a Battlestar Galactica Viper :wub: :

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

SimonR

QuoteCool Typhoon, most excellant job!!  But I think the engine would look better as the apex of a triangle...  Like the picture below (no idea where I found the pic), or a Battlestar Galactica Viper :wub: :

:cheers:  :cheers:
I actually thought about doing it that way and it would be very easy. It could even be done only using one kit if one could tolerate a mixture of open and closed AB nozzles.
Simon

This is the curse of speed;  I have been a slave to it all my life. On my gravestone they will carve 'It never got fast enough for me'.
Hunter S. Thompson

The Rat

BITCHIN'!!! She be one mean-donkey mofo.  :wub:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

nev

Three EJ200s?????

Thats like, 63,000lbs of thrust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o  :o  :o  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

SimonR

QuoteThree EJ200s?????

63,000lbs... That would be about right for a nine engined Jaguar... Hmmm...
Simon

Hunter S. Thompson

cthulhu77

very nice, and having the three engines inline would give better vectoring than having them in a "thrust only" triad...quite the little infighter you have made!

greg

markm70

That's on mean looking jet, kinda like a modern Phantom! B)  

Jeffry Fontaine

I think it would have looked better with just the two engines and a fairing in the middle to separate them like on the F-111 or something similar.  Still it is a well executed project that has come to a finish and it looks good.  

regards,  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Hobbes

Nice and barking, just the way I like 'em. Any chance of a photo of the underside?  

Gary

QuoteThree EJ200s?????

he says as the pilot notices his watch is running backward
Getting back into modeling

PolluxDeltaSeven

I LOVE IT !!!!
:wub:  :wub:

Great model, great idea, great camo!!!
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

SimonR

QuoteNice and barking, just the way I like 'em. Any chance of a photo of the underside?
Not its most flattering aspect as you can see the join!

Simon

Hunter S. Thompson