Westland Whirlwind

Started by The Rat, September 26, 2005, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Caveman on May 30, 2010, 04:44:21 PM
Other concerning things to me is the jet pipe cutting through the wing. As I have drawn it I am imagining the Welland ending just about at the leading edge of the wing. Possibly leaving enough room for some tight ducting over the wing spar and then down out of the exhaust? 

Running the engine airflow through the wing is just fine, that's what they did with the Meteor and had no issues with it. It'd need big ring frames but that's pretty well understood engineering.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Personally I think 'twould look better with underslung Metrovick F.2 axial-flow engines ala Meteor F.9/40 prototype DG204/G.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1955/1955%20-%200728.html

Caveman

I agree that an axial engine would look better. I went with centrifugal engine because I think that it would have been available earlier. I also think that with contemporary materials tech. a centrifugal engine would give better maintenance performance too.
As for under wing slung, I was trying to keep the landing gear within the nacelles. I thought that with the extra volume required it would look more 'balanced' with part of the nacelle above and part below the wing.
secretprojects forum migrant

kitnut617

Here's a pic of TSRJoe's Jet Whirlwind.  It appears in one of the BSP books.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Caveman

ah brilliant :)

do you know where he has moved the landing gear to?
secretprojects forum migrant

kitnut617

You would have to ask Joe or read the book, I'm not sure how it would work
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I'd think that the main legs would be in the nacelle inboard sides and it would still be a tail dragger configuration.  Pilot view would be reasonable apart from some big gaps where the engines are.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Okay, I was just looking at ebay (just looking, please note...) and there was a Whirlwind next to a P-38.

Light bulb moment: what about a twin-boom Whirlwind?

If you want a justification for it, go back to the P-38. Let's say that Peregrine development went down the road of big turbo-superchargers rather than more cubes, and the nacelles got longer and longer until it made sense to put fins on the end of them and prune the fuselage.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Martin H

a twin boomer?

you mean like this?

Built about 5-6 years ago.  And yes Tophe loved it
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Pablo1965

Weaver

Ah - thought it was too good not to have been noticed before - nice model Martin!  :thumbsup:

Good profile too Apo - nice one.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

MAD

Nice work gents! :cheers:

Hey GTX what about a torpedo-carrying Whirlwind (ala Beufighter type anti-shipping variant)? :thumbsup:

M.A.D

The Wooksta!

Martin's already waaaaaay ahead of you.  IIRC he had the model on the display about 8 year ago...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Martin H

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 06, 2010, 04:24:15 PM
Martin's already waaaaaay ahead of you.  IIRC he had the model on the display about 8 year ago...

just a little

My first whif Whirlwind. the SeaWhirlwind TFIII.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

If it's already in this thread I apologise but it might be useful to put that nice timeline of Whirlwind development you produced onto this thread Martin ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.