Westland Whirlwind

Started by The Rat, September 26, 2005, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Quote from: GTX on August 12, 2011, 12:50:27 PM
Recently posted over on SecretProjects - A Whirlwind with under-nacelle intakes:

Use your imagination and you can almost see Napier Sabres there ;D.

Regards,

Greg

Interesting photo, really well faked, this is the original.

The picture has been reversed ,hence the reversed direction of the props and the chin radiators added,would make a very nice whiff though
Andrew

sequoiaranger

>Interesting photo, really well faked, this is the original.<

Isn't "really well faked" the essence of whiffery??  ;D

And, the perpetrator took the time to properly reverse the half-obscured serial number in the rear fuselage, too!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Martin H

and airbrush out the hanger on the left hand side of the original :)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

GTX

Quote from: sequoiaranger on August 13, 2011, 08:25:43 AM
>Interesting photo, really well faked, this is the original.<

Isn't "really well faked" the essence of whiffery??  ;D

Beat me to it. ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 13, 2011, 01:06:22 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2011, 11:37:15 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 12, 2011, 03:04:51 PM
A little known fact is that the Épée design was the basis of the BRM H-16 Formula 1 engine of the mid-1960s.
Unfortunately the BRM folks so altered the design, that the end product was something of a drut.

But it sounded WONDERFUL, and in the back of the Lotus 43 driven by Jim Clark it won the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1965! Classic Lotus have found an H16 and they're putting back into the only 43 left, I can hardly wait.  :lol:

Was that the race Jack Brabham came third in?

Oops! Typo there, sorry!

Jack Brabham did come third in the 1965 US GP, but Jim Clark won the 1966 US Grand Prix in the Lotus 43.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2011, 11:37:15 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 12, 2011, 03:04:51 PM
A little known fact is that the Épée design was the basis of the BRM H-16 Formula 1 engine of the mid-1960s.
Unfortunately the BRM folks so altered the design, that the end product was something of a drut.

But it sounded WONDERFUL, and in the back of the Lotus 43 driven by Jim Clark it won the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in 1965! Classic Lotus have found an H16 and they're putting back into the only 43 left, I can hardly wait.  :lol:

Oooh, I'd love to hear that.  :wub: :cheers:

tomo pauk

Hi,
Just wondered wheter there is a model of the Whirly with a radial engine of any type, plus wehther there is a model with Napier Dagger?

Gondor

Quote from: tomo pauk on November 24, 2015, 07:33:43 AM
Hi,
Just wondered wheter there is a model of the Whirly with a radial engine of any type, plus wehther there is a model with Napier Dagger?

You could always build a model like that as the real aircraft did not have those types of engine.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

OK thread revival, and no I've not been back to the beginning so apologies if my question has been answered.

Supposing, just supposing Westland offered the Whirlwind or a derivative of it to the Admiralty in the 1938/39 period, but the Admiralty wanted a radial engine version *. What radials could/would have been considered ?

* I can almost hear Petter's squeals of anguish now  ;)

And yes I do have an inkling for a navalised one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Bristol Taurus seems to have been the go to engine in that period.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

With a Sea Whirlwind Mk.II being powered by a Twin Wasp.  Problems with the Taurus led to it being replaced by the American engine in several British aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KJ_Lesnick

rickshaw

QuoteI wonder, could they be Merlins under there?  Might explain the need for increased or changed radiators.
The plane wasn't really compatible with them because of the center of gravity
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 07, 2018, 03:17:34 PM
rickshaw

QuoteI wonder, could they be Merlins under there?  Might explain the need for increased or changed radiators.
The plane wasn't really compatible with them because of the center of gravity

CofG can be changed.  British designers have, in the past, been quite willing to add up to several hundred pounds of weight to move it, fore or aft as required.   :rolleyes:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

I've been perusing Secret Projects and it's been discovered recently that there really were plans to re-engine the Whirlwind with Merlins.  I'ts always been accepted (me included) that the Whirlwind was too tightly designed around the Peregrine, but it seems that it was simple logistics that prevented a Merlin powered version being built.  For every Whirlwind, you needed two engines instead of the single engine of a Spitfire or Hurricane and Merlins were in short supply early war.
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5734.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.