Westland Whirlwind

Started by The Rat, September 26, 2005, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on April 01, 2010, 07:00:23 AM
Quote from: sequoiaranger on April 01, 2010, 06:11:13 AM

As far as "fattening" the Whirlwind to put in a turret, one of the salient features of the Whirlwind was the extremely narrow fuselage that kept wind resistance to a minimum. Fatten the fuselage and put in a turret, and, well,...the aerodynamic advantages disappear. You would now have a "Mosquito" with the low power of Peregrine engines instead of Merlins.

Yes, but it'd be funny in a "really bad ideas" kind of way........ :wacko:

Actually, thinking about it, it wouldn't have to be that wide: only as wide as a Defiant, which is still way narrower than a Mosquito...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

brewerjerry

Quote from: GTX on April 09, 2009, 03:18:33 PM
Something I just whipped (or should that be whiffed) up:

Regards,

Greg

Hi
   Now this I like,
   Westlands actually proposed a whirlwind with american radial engine, i probably was either wright cyclone 1820 or the pratt & whitney 1830, I havenèt worked out which would have fitted yet, i.e.. size ..weight
   Out of curiosity, which engines are in the profile
      cheers
        Jerry

brewerjerry

Quote from: rickshaw on April 16, 2010, 09:03:57 PM
I've just found out that Special Hobby do a Whirlwind kit in 1/72.  Has anybody made one?  How does it compare to the Airfix one?  Its about 3 times the price. Is it worth it?

Hi
   I have the fighter bomber quite nice and just ordered the latest issue  ..different whirlwinds..off e bay.
    The idea i have is to use the nose cone, remove the 37mm and convert the longer nose back to the PR nose that westlands originally were going to do. It could look nice in PRU colours.
  I was think of putting the nose on the airfix, cheaper than using the special hobby.
   Someone told me that they thought special hobby may issue a 1:48 version.........would be nice if it is true.
    cheers
     Jerry

GTX

Quote from: brewerjerry on April 24, 2010, 08:56:13 AM

Out of curiosity, which engines are in the profile

Jerry,

I can't quite remember - I think I was considering something like the Bristol Taurus or even the more powerful Hercules.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

brewerjerry

Hi greg,
           Thanks for the reply, the profile looks good, might use it as a basis to bash an airfix kit into one of them.
      Did you ever try a drawing with merlinXX's on the whirlwind, as per westlands 1941 proposal ?
         Cheers
           Jerry

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

You could actually do a Whirlwind with late model Mercurys, which had more power and less weight than the Peregrine. It'd have more drag and worse altitude performance, but it'd be good as a ground attack type or a dive-bomber (with airbrakes).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Twin Griffon power! 

'There's no subtitute for cubic inches' (quote some US drag racer in the 60s sometime)  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 06, 2010, 03:54:52 PM
Twin Griffon power! 

'There's no subtitute for cubic inches' (quote some US drag racer in the 60s sometime)  ;D

Check out page 2 of this topic ;D.

Regards,

Greg

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 06, 2010, 03:54:52 PM
Twin Griffon power! 

Go back 15 posts Kit, you'll see what I've read recently.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

There you are then, great minds think alike. Even in WHiffWorld.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

brewerjerry

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 06, 2010, 08:58:34 AM
Now this looks interesting :

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=&action=prodinfo&parent_id=&art=93142

Hi
   The nice postperson delivered one yesterday, it has the long nose and the handed propellers.
     It looks good, and by using two airfix kits and the one SH, it will turnout three whirlwinds, more if I can figure out how to 'clone' the long nose'
       Cheers
         Jerry

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 07, 2010, 03:01:47 PM
There you are then, great minds think alike. Even in WHiffWorld.  :lol:

I tend to think of it as suffering from the same madness ;D

Regards,

Greg

rickshaw

I suspect I will be burned at the stake for suggesting this.  Has anyone ever considered a single-engined Whirlwind?   :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!